10.25.17 – Manager, Collections & Information Services
KAUST (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology)Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
Sarah P.’s comment: Be very careful of accepting a contract in Saudi Arabia. I worked in Saudi Arabia and did actually enjoy my time there. However I did my research before I applied. While there are some reputable companies, colleges, and schools please be aware that you are at the mercy of the institution which hires you. KAUST has very mixed reviews and like many places in Saudi, was started with great promise and has fallen, especially with the recent economic downturn there (this is the first time job to be posted since May of 2016). If you do apply know that it is a long and tedious process with very little logic as to who is chosen. Google ‘Kaust’ and ‘reviews’ for more info.
The Manager of Collections & Information Services main responsibilities are to:
• Provide strategic planning and implement innovative and effective library services in support of student and faculty research, learning and knowledge sharing.
• Manage a specialist team of collections development, instructions, e-resource management, acquisitions, access and resource sharing.
• Identify and develop new programs and services in response to stakeholders’ needs and in consideration of technology change and development.
• Serve as chief liaison for library subscriptions, license agreements; publisher, faculty, students and researcher relations.
• Creates department strategy, then develops, assesses, and manages services and programs with ongoing input from key stakeholders at all levels of the organization and throughout the University.
• Participates in the development of the University Library’s vision and responds to the changing needs of the KAUST community; as well as participates in system-wide planning, policy development, and resource allocation.
• Manages, develops, supports the department’s employees; oversees the whole operations of the department, and reports on the work of the department.
• Sponsoring and/or leads cross-unit functional projects to ensure goals and projects are completed according to scope, timeline and budget.
• Manages the relationship with internal/external parties in regards to subscription licenses, service level agreements and other documents to maintain a sustainable and seamless access to Library resources and services.
• Oversees collaborations with Academic and Research communities through the subject librarians, instruction and collection development programs.
• Contributes to and represents the interests of the University Library in regional and international initiatives; seeks partnerships and collaborative service and research opportunities.
• In collaboration with the Library management and other stakeholders, provides active learning spaces and with collaborative workspaces for interdisciplinary discussions.
• Performs other duties and undertakes special projects as assigned by the Library Director.
• Minimum five years of progressive people management experience in areas of acquisition and collections development, library instructions, e-resource management, reference services and access services;
• A broad view of library and university scholarly communication issues;
• An excellent understanding of advanced information technologies and their application, current developments and trends;
• Proven project management experience and a demonstrated ability to estimate scope of a project and bring it to completion on time and budget;
• Prior experience working in an academic research library, library consortium, or library services organization;
• Prior experience in a multi-cultural environment;
• Significant participation in professional associations and/or relevant publications;
• Successful record of developing and initiating new programs.
• Proactivity, flexibility, decisiveness, problem solving, the ability to network, and staying informed about library developments and trends.
• Ability to effectively communicate issues and solutions to a diverse set of stakeholders;
• Demonstrated leadership style that promotes teamwork and consensus building.
• Demonstrated commitment to providing outstanding customer service to internal and external stakeholders.
MLS or MLIS degree from accredited programs
Additional educational or research qualifications in science disciplines
Apply now at https://www.kaust.edu.sa/en/live-work/openings