11.30.16 – Recruiting season for international school librarians is has been moving earlier and earlier each year and thus is now in full swing. This is the area where the most international positions are listed and thus is the easiest way to break into international work. While it is still a good idea to join an agency and be vetted, the majority of schools are now advertising on TIE and accepting direct applications.
Currently, The International Educator (TIE) currently has 23 positions listed. Many, but not all, require media certification as well as a master’s degree. For more information about this market please join TIE and also review Chapter 3 of my book.
11.29.16 – Primary School Librarian
Victoria Shanghai Academy, Hong Kong
Sarah P’s comments: Good reviews overall and Hong Kong is a fascinating place. For more international school librarian positions visit TESjobs (UK-based) or TIE (there is a fee to join).
Teacher Librarian for Primary Section
Victoria Shanghai Academy (VSA) is a well resourced and successful private independent non-profit IB World school in Hong Kong offering a bilingual PYP programme and MYP and DP programmes from Grades 1-12. The primary school comprises 950 students served by 90 plus teachers, more than half of whom are expatriate. The majority of our students are local Cantonese for whom English and Putonghua are second languages. The Academy aspires towards a student-centred community of academic and personal excellence, combining international perspectives and Chinese heritage.
VSA is now recruiting enthusiastic and committed teacher for the above position for the school year beginning August 2017:
- Recognized teaching qualification and have at least two years of teaching experience
- Strong ICT Skills and knowledge of Library Systems
- A commitment to student centred inquiry based learning
- IB experience an advantage but not essential
- Ability to work with a range of students from Y1-5
Applicants please download and complete the application form and email along with a statement of your educational philosophy and full resume to the Primary Principal (email@example.com) by 5 January 2017.
11.28.16 – Global Librarianship Services Webinar
Date: 12/5, Monday at 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm EST // 11:00-12 pm PST
- Dan Perkins (Global Services Librarian at NYU)
- Lindsay Wharton (Extended Campus and Distance Services Librarian at FSU)
- Hong Cheng (Global Services Librarian at University of Cincinnati)
As the opportunities and challenges raised by globalization become more a part of people’s everyday lives, colleges and universities are committed to providing their students with academic opportunities on a global scale. This has led academic libraries to focus their efforts on meeting the needs of their students and faculty at global campuses and study abroad sites. Also under the same trend, the number of global services/education librarians is on the rise with unique responsibilities and experiences. In this panel, we’ll be discussing:
- the similarities and differences between the global library services programs at our respective sites;
- the opportunities and challenges we’ve faced, including how to work with partners in headquarters as well as overseas;
- discuss how global library services may be evolving in the future.
- Experiences we have had
- Future trends in global librarianship
Audience participation in this discussion is welcome and strongly encouraged.
45 minutes for presentation, 30 minutes for discussion.
11.23.16 – Senior Assistant to the Documents and Records Management Officer
Frontex, Warsaw, Poland
Sarah P’s comments: To apply, you must have:
- qualifications that have been awarded in EU Member States or that are subject to the equivalence certificates issued by the authorities in the said EU Member States
- produce evidence of a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the EU and of a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the EU to the extent necessary for the performance of his duties;
- be a national of one of the Member States of the EU or the Schengen Associated Countries and enjoys the full rights as a citizen
The European Border and Coast Guard Agency (Frontex), has been established under Regulation (EU) 2016/1624 of 14 September 2016 (the ‘Regulation’). The agency was created on the foundations of the European Agency for the Management of Operational Cooperation at the External Borders of the Member States of the European Union (established under Council Regulation (EC) No 2007/2004), which has been coordinating operational activities at the EU external border since 2005.
The Documents and Records Management Officer ensures that the internal handling of unclassified and sensitive non-classified documents and records is effective and in line with the agency’s documents and records management policy and that all necessary measures are taken in order to ensure that Frontex fulfils its obligations associated to the publication, archiving, destruction, transfer of records and documents it produces. S/he will be responsible for the functional evolution of the Document Management System.
Click on the job title above to read the full job description…
11.22.16 – School Librarian
St. Anthony School, Costa Rica
Sarah P’s comments: This post is being shared via the ALAWorld e-mail group. I could not find any reviews and the school’s website is in Spanish so I would say speaking Spanish, though not listed, is a requirement…
General Info about the School (in English)
Saint Anthony School, a private-bilingual school in Costa Rica is looking for a k- 12 School Librarian to be in charged of:
- Ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information
- Empower students to be critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers, and ethical users of information
- Instill a love of learning/reading in all students and ensure equitable access to information
- Collaborate with classroom teachers and specialists to design and implement lessons and units of instruction.
- Be willing to live in San José, Costa Rica.
- Be certificate or have formal education as a Librarian.
- 5 to 7 years as a School Librarian or related field.
Interested can send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can check our website to be familiar with the institution at: http://site.saintanthony.ed.cr/
11.20.16 – Here is the latest list of international school librarian positions available via TIE (The International Educator). This is the area where the most international positions are listed and thus is the easiest way to break into international work. While it is still a good idea to join an agency and be vetted, the majority of schools are now advertising on TIE and accepting direct applications.
Currently, The International Educator (TIE) currently has 20 positions listed. Many, but not all, require media certification as well as a master’s degree. For more information about this market please join TIE and also review Chapter 3 of my book.
11.17.16 – Library Director
Barenboim-Said Akademie, Berlin, Germany
The Library Director is responsible for building and overseeing the Library and Music Archives at the Barenboim-Said Akademie. This individual will oversee the cataloging, access, and use of collections, and work closely with students and faculty at the Barenboim-Said Akademie.
The Library Director reports to the Dean of the Barenboim-Said Akademie.
We are looking for someone who is a self-starter and accustomed to working in a dynamic,
multicultural environment. Must be goal-oriented and a team player, and exhibit cultural
sensitivity and discretion.
The Barenboim-Said Akademie’s main language is English. For more information on the Barenboim-Said Akademie, please go to: http://barenboimsaid.com.
- Build and develop a library at the Barenboim-Said Akademie in coordination with the Dean and the Director of Humanities.
- Introduce and maintain a management, loaning and access system for the Barenboim-Said Akademie, maintaining access to faculty, students, and staff.
- Maintain ties with Berlin library music collections at other Musikhochschulin and at the Staatsbibliothek.
- Represent the Barenboim-Said Akademie in all matters pertaining to its library collection. Assist with representation of the Barenboim-Said Akademie in matters pertaining to reference and research.
- Oversee public and reference services including library policies and procedures, circulation, loan, and reserve functions.
- Maintain subscriptions to academic journals, score collections for the Barenboim-Said Akademie and the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra, and sound collections.
- Coordinate on-campus library related events, such as orientation library tours, library and reference resources for open days, etc.
- Manage and oversee library computer lab.
- Hire and manage staff of student workers and interns, with approval from the Dean.
- Provide assistance, as needed, with the Barenboim-Said Akademie’s Preparatory Program.
- Provide assistance, as needed, with the Barenboim-Said Akademie’s Orientation Program for new students.
- Other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- University undergraduate degree required, with preference given to those holding a degree in music; graduate degree in Library Science desired.
- Familiarity with a Musikhochschule, music conservatory, or university school of music is essential, as well as being conversant and knowledgeable about music as an academic and performance- related higher education field.
- At least two (2) years of higher-education administrative responsibility in a music library required; four (4) years desired.
- Must possess excellent organizational skills, an ability to problem solve, and a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Fluent English, with excellent knowledge of oral and written German; reading knowledge of French or Italian required. Additional languages—especially Arabic, Hebrew, Turkish, and/or Farsi—desired.
- Experience with library management software.
- High level of proficiency with technology, social media, and office productivity tools.
- Capacity and desire to learn and upgrade a variety of computer software skills.
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills in English and German.
- Must be able to handle a demanding work schedule, and have a demonstrated ability to work in an environment that celebrates cultural and ethnic diversity.
Compensation is in line with the federal payscale for similar positions at German public
universities (TVöD-Bund, EG 09B). The position is due to begin as soon as possible.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
– See more at: https://chroniclevitae.com/jobs/0000342212-01#sthash.6WX4fvCe.dpuf