Sarah P’s comments: Please note the deadline is tomorrow June 6th. Also, vacancies in the OSCE are open for competition only amongst nationals of participating States, please see http://www.osce.org/states.
The Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) is the principal institution of the OSCE responsible for the human dimension. ODIHR’s activities are implemented in 57 participating States in accordance with the ODIHR’s political mandate. ODIHR was tasked to serve as a collection point for information and statistics on hate crimes, including on forms of violent manifestations of racism, xenophobia, discrimination and intolerance and to report regularly on these issues. The Tolerance and Non-Discrimination Information System (TANDIS) virtual library and the Hate Crime Reporting website (hatecrime.osce.org) were developed as public websites to disseminate information on these issues.
The Senior Library Assistant reports to the Associate Web Editor. The incumbent is responsible for records and information management; for providing research assistance by retrieving information, conducting research in programmatic areas; and for data input, evaluation and verification on the department’s virtual library. The incumbent supports Tolerance and Non-discrimination Department’s (TND) Web Editor and works with the Information Management Assistant to maintain the department’s web and information management tools. The incumbent also assists TND thematic advisors, programme officers and management to identify new and relevant resources and provides research support.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
Under the general guidance of the supervisor, the incumbent performs the following functions:
1. Researching, collecting, summarizing, and disseminating information and resources on tolerance and non-discrimination issues, including:
– Researching, collecting and uploading relevant resources (such as reports and publications by OSCE/ODIHR, international organizations, governments, academics and civil society groups) on tolerance and non-discrimination issues, with an emphasis on hate crime;
– Preparing briefing and background materials summarizing information on tolerance and non-discrimination issues in consultation with TND’s staff and management;
– Maintaining and seeking to develop networks for sharing information and best practices related to documenting tolerance and non-discrimination issues within OSCE/ODIHR and externally.
2. Selecting, maintaining, cataloguing and evaluating documentation for TND’s online platforms, including its virtual library and the Hate Crime Reporting website, including:
– Preparing and publishing relevant documentation and resources on TND’s online platforms;
– Supporting the modernization of TND’s online platforms by participating in the conceptualization of various technical improvements, overseeing the daily maintenance of the virtual library:
– Identifying technical difficulties and supporting the transition to new systems, in collaboration with the web editor, ODIHR IT and external developers.
3. Overseeing TND’s physical and digital collections, including:
– Maintaining, organizing and administering the Department’s digital and physical collections by cataloguing, indexing and curating physical and digital resources;
– Serving as the Department’s focal point for records management, ensuring consistency in the application of OSCE/ODIHR procedures across ODIHR;
– Ensuring the respect of OSCE guidelines and international best practices in the department’s information management.
4. Providing internal training on relevant information management procedures and software as required to internal users.
5. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Completed secondary education supplemented by formal studies in information and library sciences;
• Six years of demonstrated working experience with information, knowledge and library management, including use of library management software and other relational databases;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; knowledge of other OSCE languages, notably Russian, is desirable;
• Demonstrated experience of working in a library, documentation or information centre, emphasis on human rights, law, international affairs is preferred;
• Demonstrated knowledge of current library standards for cataloguing, indexing and classifying digital and physical resources; familiarity with latest trends in information and knowledge management;
• Experience in providing research support is strongly desired; familiarity with human rights information and content analysis tools is strongly desired;
• Experience with tolerance and non-discrimination issues is an asset;
• Initiative and sound judgment, strong organizational skills and ability to work in a team;
• Excellent communication and analytical skills;
• Ability to work under pressure;
• Attention to detail and accuracy in keeping databases, managing records and collections is essential.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multinational environment, showing cultural and gender awareness throughout their work.
- Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
- Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
- Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
- Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
- Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
- Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
- Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities)
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust and creates an enabling environment
- Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
- Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
Monthly remuneration, subject to social security deductions, is approximately PLN 8,400. OSCE salaries are exempt from taxation in Poland. Social security will include participation in the Cigna medical insurance scheme (current approximate deduction for a staff member is 45 Euro) and OSCE Provident Fund. The Organization contributes an additional amount equivalent to 15% of the employee’s salary to this pension-style fund while the employee contributes 7.5%. Other allowances and benefits are similar to those offered under the United Nations Common System for general services employees.
Appointments are made at step 1 of the applicable OSCE salary scale.
How to Apply:
If you wish to apply for this position, please use OSCE’s online application link found under http://www.osce.org/employment.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
Only the OSCE on-line applications will be accepted and short-listed applicants contacted.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Please note that vacancies in the OSCE are open for competition only amongst nationals of participating States, please see http://www.osce.org/states.
No application fees or information with respect to bank account details are required by OSCE for our recruitment process.
Please note that in the event of invitation for interview, the OSCE is unable to reimburse costs incurred.