2/12/15 – Assistant Director Of Technical Services
Library And Learning Commons, Zayed University, Dubai
Sarah P’s comments: In the past Zayed enjoyed a good reputation and was considered a fairly good place to work, probably in second place after the American University of Sharjah I have heard however, that there have been management problems in the past few years and thus there has been a high turnover of librarians (they have posted six positions in the past year, keyword: Zayed to find these on the blog).
Also, several colleagues have commented about their frustrating experience with the hiring process which is both slow and contradictory. Ex. you apply, wait several months, have an interview, have a second interview, discuss details with HR and then nothing! (This story is actually typical of Middle Eastern hiring practices.) This doesn’t mean do not apply as life in Abu Dhabi, if you like city living, is comfortable and the UAE is a great jumping off point for exploring the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
Zayed University, a premier university in the United Arab Emirates, is an innovative institution based on an international model of higher education. The University has experienced rapid growth, and currently has over 1000 faculty and staff serving approximately 9000 undergraduate and 1000 graduate students on its campuses in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Zayed University prepares graduates to become leaders in government, business, civil society, arts and culture, and family life, and to contribute to building a knowledge-based economy and society. Through a curriculum grounded in learning outcomes, the University expects its graduates to be proficient in both English and Arabic, and to possess the skills in communication, technology, information literacy, research, critical thinking, and global awareness that will make them leaders in the interconnected 21st-century world. English is the primary language of instruction. Zayed University is fully accredited in the UAE and by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education in the US. The United Arab Emirates is a progressive country known for its high standard of living and its safe, family-friendly, multi-national environment.
Zayed University’s Library and Learning Commons seeks an innovative and collaborative individual to serve as Assistant Director of Technical Services. The successful candidate will plan, implement and evaluate the operations of the Technical Services unit including: overseeing the integrated library system, the search and discovery tools, and other information technology in the library; managing the acquisition, cataloging and processing of monographs and serials; and, in collaboration with the Director, administering the Library’s materials budget. The Assistant Director of Technical Services will also serve on the Library’s Leadership Council, contributing to the development of Library-wide policies, procedures and priorities.
- Recruit, train, evaluate and supervise Technical Services staff.
- Administer the operation of the integrated library system and the Library’s discovery tool, including implementing system upgrades and enhancements and ensuring the integrity and development of the database.
- Administer all aspects of technical services including acquisitions, metadata creation, bibliographic and systems management and the expenditure of the Library’s materials budget.
- Set policy and recommend adoption and compliance with appropriate international standards for cataloging and metadata.
- Coordinate effective and efficient acquisitions processes and policies, work with vendors and campus procurement and finance units to ensure that requested library materials are ordered, received, processed and distributed in a timely manner.
- In collaboration with the Electronic Resources Librarian and the Information Technology Librarian, maintain the Library’s link resolver and database access.
- Participate in the planning and development of LLC policies and services and serve on the Library Leadership Council and other LLC and University committees as appropriate.
- Engage in professional research and development.
- M.L.I.S. from an ALA accredited program or equivalent.
- A minimum of six years of relevant experience in an academic library technical services department, with increasing management responsibilities.
- Knowledge of current trends and new developments in technical services.
- Experience in the acquisition of library materials and providing online access to information.
- Experience with library vendors and content providers.
- Supervisory experience including recruitment, training, employee development and performance management.
- Demonstrated understanding of information technology and contemporary bibliographic maintenance standards and cataloging rules and guidelines.
- Demonstrated experience with Innovative Interface’s Millennium product, ProQuest’s Summon tool and 360 Link preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a culturally-diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
- Fluency in English required. Arabic language skills desirable.
The University’s benefits package is highly attractive, with competitive salaries free of tax in the U.A.E., housing, a furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children and healthcare is provided to the employee and sponsored family members. ?
Please visit our web site www.zu.ac.ae and click on ‘Employment’ to be directed to the recruitment website. In addition to completing the online application form, attach a cover letter, a current CV, and the names and contact details of three professional references.
While we appreciate all applications, you will be contacted only if you are selected for an interview.