11.6.17 – Head Librarian: Systems
University of the West Indies, Mona Campus, Jamaica
Sarah P’s comments: I do not personally know anywhere who has been employed here but here the Glassdoor reviews which are generally positive. FYI: This is the fourth position they have posted this year.
Application Due: Open Until Filled
Salary: 30000 to 40000 USD Per Year
The University of the West Indies (UWI) is a dynamic, international institution serving the countries of the Commonwealth Caribbean. Its faculties offer a wide range of undergraduate, masters and doctoral programmes in Humanities and Education, Science and Technology, Engineering, Law, Medical Sciences and the Social Sciences. At 68 years old, the institution represents the oldest of its kind within the region and has been responsible for producing outstanding leaders who have aided in catapulting regional development.
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing leadership and strategic direction for deployment of technology in the Mona Library including digital initiatives and the Library’s management systems.
The ideal candidate will possess the initiative, flexibility, and creativity to manage projects both independently and as part of a team in a dynamic work environment. The candidate should be able to handle complex, detailed systems work while maintaining a positive, service-oriented attitude. Key responsibilities will include:
· Having overall responsibility for the Mona Library’s information technology systems and services;
· Having energetic leadership in library digital initiatives, the development of the Library Integrated System and related products as well as web initiatives;
· Assisting in the formulation and implementation of strategy, policy and procedures, particularly in terms of ILS management and library automation;
· Working in conjunction with MITS (Mona Information Technology Services) in the provision of ICT to the libraries including general desktop applications, network and wireless infrastructure;
· Working in conjunction with other UWI Campus Libraries in joint initiatives such as the University Institutional Repository, Research Databases and the Single Virtual University Space.
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
· Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies or equivalent;
· Five (5) years’ experience in a supervisory position in Systems related environment;
· Experience with the use of advanced technologies in providing library services.
Preferred Qualifications/Experience and Abilities, Skills And Attributes:
· Qualifications in Computer Science, Information Science, or Information Systems would be a distinct advantage.
Applicants are required to submit a resume giving full particulars of qualifications, experience, the names and addresses of three (3) referees (one of whom should be from your present organization) and copies of academic qualifications. These should be sent by electronic mail to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to the Campus Registrar for the attention of the Director, Human Resource Management Division, The University of the West Indies, Mona Campus, Kingston 7, Jamaica. The final date for receipt of applications is November 27, 2017. Applicants are advised to ask their referees to send reports under confidential cover to the above address without waiting to be contacted.
The University thanks all applicants. However, due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The University of the West Indies, Mona Campus…… Inspiring Excellence, Producing Leaders
Human Resource Management Division
The University of the West Indies, Mona Campus
Human Resource Management Division