7.22.17 – Library Systems Manager
University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji
Sarah P’s comments: This job was last open in 2016 and 2015. When I lived in the region (Marshall Islands), USP was touted as the best college to work for. That still may be the case, but be careful to read the reviews and think about whether living and working in this area is for you. That is not to say that the South Pacific is better or worse than any other region in the world, just that every place has its challenges. I’m a sailor and ocean person, so I enjoyed my time but lack of AC can do a lot of people in…
Closing Date: 5th August, 2017
Library Systems Manager
The University of the South Pacific (USP) is a regional university, supported by 12 Pacific Island Countries, and is the premier provider of tertiary education in the Pacific region and an international centre of excellence for teaching, research and training on all aspects of Pacific culture, environment and human resource development needs. USP is seeking to recruit a well-qualified, experienced, and dynamic individual to join their management team. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with other library networks where s/he will constantly be challenged and developed in this critical role.
The Library Systems Manager will be based with the Main Library in Fiji and will be responsible for the Systems section of the network of libraries at USP. S/he will provide excellent leadership, support, and advice in all areas relating to the utilization and implementation of ICT in a regional and global context, in consultation with the USP Librarian and professional library staff. This is a unique opportunity to provide successful organisational results in line with the USP’s strategic goals. The Library Systems Manager will be responsible to:
- Plan, implement and manage an Integrated Library Systems (ILS) and software programs associated with library functions
- Manage wide area and local area networks
- Manage electronic office and relational databases
- Manage and provide oversight of digitized projects
- Program, design, digitize and manage websites, software and specific projects
- Develop and implement strategies and policies that are aligned to the Library and USP’s Strategic Plan. The person we seek will have a Master’s Degree or higher qualification in Library Information Science from a recognized accrediting body or a Master’s Degree in Information Technology/Computer Science with preferably 8 years’ experience in a Library, post-qualification
Preference will be given to applicants with a combination of the stated qualifications. The successful applicant will also demonstrate the following:
- Ability to analyse and resolve complex problems, set priorities, meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Knowledge of and experience with the Spydus and other commercial and open-source integrated library systems and software
- Knowledge of and experience with digital management systems e.g. Greenstone
- Knowledge and experience with e-resource access and management services and Web Scale Discovery Service
- Involvement with the local library associations and/or regional and international professional associations.
Salary Scale: FJ$81,145 to FJ$93,629 per annum (Inclusive of 15% Gratuity).
USP also contributes 10% of basic salary to an approved superannuation scheme, and provides airfare and relocation costs where appropriate. The position is available for a term of 3 years and may be renewed by mutual agreement.
Role descriptions and further details are available on the Maxumise Facebook page or www.maxumise.com/jobs
Contact: Sharlyn Singh +679 330 3137; email@example.com
How to Apply: For online submission, click on, or paste into your browser, the following URL: http://app.hrmonise.com/job/usp/LSManager or, Email applications with the subject “Library Systems Manager” to firstname.lastname@example.org