6.19.17 – Library Services Engineer
EBSCO Information Services, South Africa
Sarah P’s comments: A well-known company with overall good reviews although they are asking for quite a skill set. EBSCO is a world-wide company and you can search by ‘international‘ under open positions and set up a job alert.
EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
Library Services Engineer – South Africa
EBSCO research databases, ebooks, and discovery technologies are the most-used, premium online information resources for tens of thousands of institutions worldwide, representing millions of end-users.
The Global Software Services (GSS) team and Library Services Engineers (LSE a.k.a. Sales Engineer, Technology Consultant) are dedicated to increasing sales and adoption of EBSCO technology enabled products internationally through Field Sales Engineering, Customer Satisfaction driven creative technical solutions, Delivering customer input directly into the Software Development Lifecycle, and Technology Partnership management.
The LSE is the primary technical advisor and product advocate for the regional Sales team and most important customers; and responsible for UI customizations and extensions, API integration, and small app development.
- Regional/Market (Sub Saharan Africa) authoritative expert on technology aspects of EBSCO’s Software as a Service (SaaS) platform functionality, competition, trends.
- Conduct pre-sales presentations (to small and large audiences) and clear written responses to Requests for Information (RFI) or related inquiries.
- Create and manage demos, prototypes, and documentation (e.g. app instructions, regular status updates to management).
- Establish strong relationships with Sales & Customer Support teams and customer staff; supporting the evaluation/trial process, initial post-sales support/nurturing, troubleshooting and resolving customer specific advanced technical issues.
- Contribute to the app development process with varying levels of: customer requirements definition, coding, testing, documentation, and management.
- Positive Attitude
- Good Judgement
- Open Communication
- Desire to Make an Impact
- Eager to Understand
- Team Player
- Minimum two (2) years of progressive experience in either System Librarianship, Consulting, Product Management, or related field.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience and excellence in presenting as well as written communication describing details for technology, Internet, or software application products to internal and external audiences and various levels of management.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to travel approximately 50% to national and international locations.
- Four (4) year college/university degree.
- Two (2) plus years’ experience installing, configuring and maintaining applications on Windows and Linux platforms.
- One (1) plus years’ experience working on AWS or Azure or other IaaS providers
- One (1) plus years’ experience working with:
- Online research database platforms (e.g. EBSCOhost)
- Integrated Library Systems (ILS e.g. Alma, Millennium, Sierra, Symphony, Koha)
- Institutional Repository platforms (e.g. ContentDM, DSpace, Fedora)
- Content Management / Search software (e.g. Sharepoint, Drupal, VuFind)
- Experience programming with APIs, use of a full web application stack (e.g. LAMP), large data file analysis (e.g. MARC, XML), and Agile methodologies.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently while maintaining team involvement, organized and detail oriented, strong problem solving and analytical skills.
Employee policies and benefits vary by location.