5.22.17 – Health Institute Internship
Comprehensive Rural Health Project, Jamkhed Institute, Dist. Ahmednagar, India
Sarah P’s comments: For people interested in Medical Librarianship, Public Health, and NGO work, this 6-month internship might be useful.
The Comprehensive Rural Health Project, Jamkhed (CRHP), has been working among the rural poor and marginalized for over 40 years. Founded in 1970 by Drs. Raj and Mabelle Arole to bring healthcare to the poorest of the poor, CRHP has become an organization that empowers people to eliminate injustices through integrated efforts in health and development. CRHP works by mobilizing and building the capacity of communities to achieve access to comprehensive development and freedom from stigma, poverty and disease.
Pioneering a comprehensive approach to primary community-based healthcare, known as the Jamkhed Model, CRHP has been a leader in public health and development in rural communities in India and around the world. The work of CRHP has been recognized by the WHO and UNICEF. In the last 40 years, CRHP has directly worked with over 300 villages primarily within Maharashtra, India.
CRHP established the Jamkhed International Institute in order to systemize the sharing of the Jamkhed experience with others, people from throughout India and the world, students and faculty in various disciplines, professionals and staff of NGOs and government.
The CRHP Internship Program is currently offering an internship in development, communications, programs, and evaluations. Since its introduction, the internship program has become a very competitive and sought after placement for new graduates from around the world.
The intern will assist the International Training Coordinator with international groups that come for courses and individuals in diploma course (usually in role as liaison); perform the role of ‘office manager’; and assist with the library with the Coordinator and librarian.
The intern will learn about CRHP’s work mainly through the courses s/he assists with, as well as will get to know people from all over the world who come to learn from CRHP staff and villagers.
This is a 6-month minimum unpaid internship. Working hours are typically from 9am-6pm Monday through Saturday. Interns are given one-week holiday during their stay. CRHP provides room and board on its campus in Jamkhed, India to all interns. Internship does not cover flight to and from home country and visa fees.
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s preferred
- Experience or demonstrated interest in public health, development, or NGOs
- Good writing skills and experience writing promotional materials, editing, producing and revising training resources (print, ppt)
- Competency in Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Photoshop, and Publisher
- Organizational ability, e.g. files, information, data, timetables
- Ability to work with a team and alone
- Willingness to take initiative
- Flexibility and cultural sensitivity with high interpersonal skills
- Good interpersonal relations and communication
Duties May Include:
- Assist international training coordinator with international groups, including ‘hosting’
- Be liaison between international groups & Institute/library
- Assist with various tasks for classes (including supplies, laptop & projector)
- Assist with responsibility of Institute/library office area, ‘office manager’, including maintaining important documents and resources on the Institute computer
- Assist with organizing and maintaining Institute resources, including keeping Institute computer updated
- Assist with developing/revising training resources (print, ppt)
- Assist with design & production of materials – promotion, training, PR materials, etc.
- Assist with promotion of courses – identify organizations, social media sites, etc.
- Assist librarian & international training coordinator keeping resources organized
- Maintain the library computer with relevant documents and resources
- Assist visitors with resources, being familiar with the resources
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for June 2017 start date are currently accepted on a rolling basis. To apply, please email Cover Letter that details why you are fit for this position and CV to Mr. Ravi Arole, Director CRHP, firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a 6 month, unpaid position. Interns live on CRHP’s campus in Jamkhed and are provided with food and housing.