Sarah P’s comments: A new and rare South American position. Must be bilingual Spanish/English.
Formal consideration of applications begins immediately; position will remain open until filled.
The Director of the Academic Library Services reports to the Vice Chancellor Research and Innovation and is responsible for the leadership and overall management of Yachay Tech’s academic collections and academic library services. The new director will be responsible for strategic planning, budgeting, and staffing in support of the academic, instructional and information needs of Yachay Tech’s students, faculty, and staff.
- Direct library operations, and manage and supervise library professional and support staff.
- Work to develop the library as a hub for student learning.
- Consult with university faculty and administration to determine library resource and service needs of academic programs and departments.
- Develop programs and policies in support of the academic program overall and in key areas identified by the Academic Council.
- Consult with university administrators to determine budget and personnel requirements and to coordinate library practices and procedures with university policies.
- Develop and administer the library’s annual operating budget.
- Select and provide access to appropriate electronic information resources.
- Manage the library’s physical collections.
- Participate in leadership positions in appropriate professional associations, establishing and expanding connections on campus and beyond to stay current with trends in library services.
- Assess quality and effectiveness of programs and services.
- Degree in Library or Information Science or a degree in a science or engineering discipline, management experience is highly desirable.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Bilingual (Spanish and English)
- Commitment to shared-governance and to serving the Yachay Tech community.
- Experience in a research university library setting.
- Knowledge of trends, issues and best practices in academic libraries.
- Excellent record of collaboration with internal and external partners.
- Experience with technological/informational services to support the student experience within the libraries.
- Demonstrated expertise with information technology and library systems.
- Commitment to higher education at the undergraduate and graduate level.
Yachay Tech is a public university founded in March 2014, whose aim is to position Ecuador as a center of innovation and technological excellence in Latin America. Amongst Ecuadorian higher education institutions, Yachay Tech is the first and only research-focused university. It is led by a Board of Trustees, composed of professors from Caltech, a Rector from Cornell and Arizona State University, and a Chancellor, Vice Chancellor, Deans, and Department Heads, who all come to Yachay from distinguished universities around the globe. 100% of our faculty hold doctoral degrees and hail from over 20 different nations. Our six Schools (Biological Sciences and Engineering, Chemical Sciences and Engineering, Design Engineering and Innovation, Geological Sciences and Engineering, Mathematical Sciences and Information Technology, Physical Sciences and Nanotechnology) embody the concept of close interaction between fundamental discovery and application, each consisting of two departments, one concentrating on basic science and the other on technology and engineering.