4.19.17 – University Librarian
University of Central Asia, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Sarah P’s comments: I first saw this position listed in March of 2015. Not sure if someone is leaving or whether it was never filled. This is a fairly new university (2000) – not to be confused with the American University of Central Asia. No reviews yet…
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: 7 May 2017
The University of Central Asia (UCA) is a private (not for profit), secular University whose charter has been signed by the Presidents of Tajikistan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan, ratified by the parliaments of the founding states and registered with the United Nations. UCA is the first internationally chartered university in the world. UCA’s mission is to foster the socio-economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain societies, while helping the peoples of the region preserve and draw upon their rich cultural heritages as assets for the future.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement a clear and concise strategic plan for the library that promotes the mission of the university and bring in continuous improvement;
- Work with different librarians across the Aga Khan Development Network;
- Plan, implement and administer library functions, resources and services based on internationally recognised standards and best practices;
- Obtain a good grasp of the curricular offerings and research efforts of the university by developing strong partnerships within the various teaching and research departments to assess, provide and improve library collections and services to meet student and faculty needs;
- Obtain feedback, compile statistical data, evaluate and assess effectiveness and efficiency of library services;
- In collaboration with Campus Librarians, set priorities and budgets for the staff, facilities, collections, including print, media and electronic that support the university’s curricular and research efforts;
- Supervise and manage the physical library facilities to ensure these are safe, accessible, effective, efficient and inviting;
- Directly supervise the position of Campus Librarian on each campus; direct and advise Campus Librarians regarding supervision, recruitment, retention, and professional development of personnel under their supervision; and
- Work with Campus Librarians and the IT staff of the university on the library’s information systems and develop procedural guidelines for technical services such as cataloging, periodicals, course reserves, processing, mending and circulation of materials.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Energetic and ambitious team player who thrives on a challenge and is comfortable working in a remote setting with limited staffing and facilities;
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science or Library and Information Science from an accredited institution would be an asset;
- Significant experience in an academic library setting including supervisory experience in increasingly responsible positions;
- Demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of library operations including extensive knowledge of contemporary library practices, trends and emerging technologies;
- Knowledge of technology use in library systems (i.e. library automation systems, online resources, and instructional technologies);
- Experience in using technologies to provide and enhance library services and their changing roles in higher education;
- Knowledge of and experience with outcomes and assessment of library services;
- Excellent communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work well with others in a team environment; and
- Experience working in international educational institutions.
- Advanced English; and
- Working knowledge of Russian would be an asset
Relationships: The University Librarian will report to the Associate Dean of Arts and Sciences
The position will be based in Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic and would require regional travel.
Salary and International Package: Salary and package to attract the best candidate.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 7 May 2017. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “University Librarian” and please indicate how you heard about us.
Position open until filled.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.