4.12.17 – Law Librarian
The College of the Bahamas, Nassau, Bahamas
Sarah P’s Comments: COB positions are required to be posted whenever they renew which means that the current librarian might or might not be leaving. The last time this position was listed was 10/13/15 and I do not know whether it was a true opening and filled or whether this is a re-posting.
The University Libraries invites applications for a full time faculty position at the rank of Librarian II, a Law Librarian with responsibilities for the overall management of the law collections which supports of the university LLB programme.
The successful candidate will be dynamic and innovative with a strong commitment to service within a diverse community; experience working within a Voyager software environment; strong analytical skills; must demonstrate strong leadership capabilities; demonstrated knowledge of legal research and resources; must have a sound understanding of emerging technologies and the ability to apply then within the library setting; and the ability to work in a fluid and technically changing.
The position reports to the Deputy University Librarian.
- Complete special projects as assigned;
- Provide oversight of the smooth operation of the law reference desk services and collections;
- Training, mentoring and evaluating staff to ensure efficiency of reference desk services and growth in usage of the collection;
- Evaluate reference desk services and usage of collections and make appropriate recommendations;
- Formulation of recommended policies and procedures that meet established standards;
- Participation in budget analysis and preparation; monitoring expenditure of approved budget allocations;
- Coordination of collection development activities in keeping with established policies;
- Supervision of full time/part time staff and student workers
- Conducting bibliographic and information literacy sessions;
- Preparing reports; attending professional and general staff meetings;
- Serving on library and college wide committees;
- Engagement in research and professional activities;
- Work evenings and weekends on rotation
- Providing legal reference service
- Assist with selection/acquisition of new legal resources
- Applicants must possess a Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution and a minimum of four years post qualification experience in an academic or law Library. A working knowledge of Commonwealth and Caribbean legal systems would be an asset.
- Experience in library automation, manipulation of legal database, online searching, bibliographic and information literacy instruction, and
- Previous managerial and Supervisory experience are essential.
Applicants should send the following:
- A completed College of The Bahamas Application for Employment Form (www.ub.edu.bs/hrprofile);
- A letter of interest (highlighting work experience and accomplishments relevant to the position);
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae or resume;
- Teaching philosophy statement;
- Evidence of excellence in teaching;
- Evidence of research and scholarship;
- Unofficial transcripts (official transcripts needed for employment); and
- At least three confidential, professional references.
Applications will NOT be considered without the complete package.
The University of The Bahamas
Human Resources Department
P. O. Box N-4912
Nassau, N.P. The Bahamas
Attention: Chief Human Resources Officer,