4.10.17 – Deputy Librarian, Collections, Technical Services and Digital Technologies
University of the West Indies, Mona Campus, Jamaica
Sarah P’s comments: I do not personally know anywhere who has been employed here but here the Glassdoor reviews which are generally positive. FYI: They advertised two positions in 2015 but none in 2016.
Application Due: 05/19/2017 (but states 4/30/2017 on their webpage)
The University of the West Indies (Mona), Library is seeking innovative, energetic and dynamic Deputy Librarians who work closely with the Campus Librarian and Library staff to achieve transformational change and to foster a culture of collaboration and communication.
Applicants must possess at least a Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies and a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a management position. The applicants must also demonstrate a commitment to research and scholarship and have a leadership style that is consultative and inclusive.
Duties and Responsibilities
The position provides strong leadership and strategic direction in the development and delivery of all technical and technology-related services, and the successful applicant will have overall responsibility for all aspects of Library collections to support teaching and research, including acquisition, cataloguing, metadata creation, digital initiatives, scholarly communication, and data management. The successful applicant will provide vision, direction and leadership in matters to redefine collections, technical services, preservation and digital services in the context of emerging trends in these areas, and will:
- Be responsible for the management, coordination and direction of collection development, technical services, digital initiatives and library systems
- Formulate library policies and procedures based on current and emerging trends in academic library operations in keeping with the academic priorities of the Mona Campus
- Work with Heads of Technical Services and Systems to provide vision, and lead in matters to redefine collections, technology use, and preservation
- Interpret issues with regards to current trends and developments in library technical services and communicate these to the Campus Librarian
- Provide leadership and strategic direction in digital initiatives including the creation and maintenance of a Digital Centre
- Develop strategic directions and work closely with relevant Library staff including the Deputy Librarian Public and Outreach Services to ensure coordinated handling of all aspects of technical services and library information systems
- Plan new projects and activities including new initiatives in Technical and Digital Initiatives
- Work with the Head of Systems for all matters in relation to evaluation and maintenance of the Integrated Library System
- Work with the Preservation and Conservation Librarian in the management of the Bindery, including income generating activities
- Collaborate with the Deputy Librarian, Public and Outreach Services, and Special Projects, regarding disaster and emergency management, and occupational health and safety, and liaise with the safety and security management consultants
Detailed application giving i) full particulars of qualifications and experience, biodata; and ii) the names, titles, mailing and e-mail addresses, fax and telephone numbers of three (3) referees should be sent as soon as possible to the: UNIVERSITY REGISTRAR, OFFICE OF ADMINISTRATION, THE VICE CHANCELLERY, UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES, MONA, KINGSTON 7, JAMAICA, W.I. ATTEN: Mrs Deon Nicely-Simpson, E-mail: ( firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com) or Fax: (876) 977-1422.Further particulars of the post including full details of the remuneration package may be obtained from the Office of Administration by contacting us on – Fax: (876) 977-1422; or E-mail: ( firstname.lastname@example.org). The Further Particulars may also be obtained from our website at ( http://www.uwi.edu).
Closing date for receipt of application – May 19, 2017.
Office of Administration
The University of the West Indies, Mona Campus
Kingston 7 WI