4.5.17 – Deputy Librarian, Public and Outreach Services, and Special Projects
University of the West Indies, Mona Campus, Jamaica
Sarah P’s comments: I do not personally know anywhere who has been employed here but here the Glassdoor reviews which are generally positive. FYI: They advertised two positions in 2015 but none in 2016.
Application Due: 05/12/2017 (but states 4/30/2017 on their webpage)
The University of the West Indies (Mona), Library is seeking innovative, energetic and dynamic Deputy Librarians who work closely with the Campus Librarian and Library staff to achieve transformational change and to foster a culture of collaboration and communication.
Applicants must possess at least a Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies and a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a management position. The applicants must also demonstrate a commitment to research and scholarship and have a leadership style that is consultative and inclusive.
Duties and Responsibilities
This role provides strategic and operational leadership in the development, management and delivery of excellent and sustainable services to support the teaching, learning and research of the University community, as well as leadership in the creation and execution of special projects and initiatives. The successful applicant will work with Heads of Branches, the Head of Public Services, and the Coordinator of the Mona Information Literacy Unit (MILU), to provide leadership in areas of public services, teaching/learning and outreach, assessment, and user experience, and will:
- Provide leadership for all Public Service and Outreach activities of the Mona Library and foster a culture of collaboration and excellence in service
- Create and lead in the execution of Library policies and procedures based upon current and emerging trends in academic library operations
- Work with Heads of Branches and the Head of Public Services to create and support the execution of traditional and cutting edge services designed to meet the current and future needs of patrons and advance the strategic objectives of the Library
- Provide vision and leadership for various outreach activities and coordinate the development of a comprehensive marketing and advocacy programme
- Have primary responsibility for grant-writing, and developing projects and activities including new initiatives
- Lead in the development of collaborative Campus partnerships with units, e.g. the Department of Library and Information Studies (DLIS), and Mona Office of Research and Innovation (MORI)
- Assist with the supervision of professional staff with respect to hiring, deployment, job descriptions, appraisal, and career development
- Advise and assist the Campus Librarian in the formulation of strategic direction in relation to facilities and space management
Detailed application giving i) full particulars of qualifications and experience, biodata; and ii) the names, titles, mailing and e-mail addresses, fax and telephone numbers of three (3) referees should be sent as soon as possible to the: UNIVERSITY REGISTRAR, OFFICE OF ADMINISTRATION, THE VICE CHANCELLERY, UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES, MONA, KINGSTON 7, JAMAICA, W.I. ATTEN: Mrs Deon Nicely-Simpson, E-mail: ( firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com) or Fax: (876) 977-1422.
Further particulars of the post including full details of the remuneration package may be obtained from the Office of Administration by contacting us on – Fax: (876) 977-1422; or E-mail: ( firstname.lastname@example.org). The Further Particulars may also be obtained from our website at ( http://www.uwi.edu).
CLICK HERE for the direct link to the position details found on the UWI site: