3.10.17 – Liaison Librarian – Nursing
Walden University, USA (remote/online position)
Sarah P’s comments: Walden listed 3 positions in 2015 and one in 2017. Walden is an established online university with “more than 47,800 students from all 50 states and more than 150 countries pursuing bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degrees”. However, the reviews on Glassdoor are mixed. Read them carefully to see if you could be a good fit with this organization.
- Serve as the Library’s expert on the needs of the faculty and students in designated programs.
- Collect information and data both anecdotal and statistical to identify points in programs that would benefit from library instruction or intervention.
- Maintain knowledge of the evolving content of the curriculum, goals, and expected outcomes.
- Identify first courses or early courses where students need to develop information literacy skills and final or large scale research projects where students need advanced research skills.
- Identify, establish, and maintain contact (outreach) with the key stakeholders in the academic programs, academic centers, and course development.
- Identify opportunities for library content to be updated, created, and integrated into courses and programs. (course maintenance and development)
- Networking and awareness of program structure, benchmarking with appropriate institutions and understanding program expectations.
- Develop an annual review schedule of programs to identify upgrades, outdated materials and new opportunities to support students and faculty.
- Review course scope and sequence documents and identify problems and/or needs for instruction development.
- Provide literature review consultations, and support for doctoral students.
- Complete faculty and staff research support on request.
- Develop internal training related to assigned programs and subject areas for staff librarians.
Instruction Role & Responsibilities
- All Liaison Librarians must be trained and involved in production of instructional pieces including assignment guides, quick answers, library labs, tutorials, videos, etc.
- Liaisons will work more specifically within their programs to develop and deliver instruction.
- Liaisons will staff in-person and virtual Residencies and develop instructional and informational materials to improve Residency-based Library experience for students and faculty.
Reference Role & Responsibilities
- All Liaison Librarians will staff the reference desk.
- ALA accredited master’s degree.
- Experience in clinical or academic medical librarianship, or as a nursing liaison
- Experience searching the major academic databases.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Subject knowledge related to Nursing programs bachelors through doctoral.
- Expert-level research ability in online databases.
- Experience teaching information literacy skills including the use of online databases.
- Experience in an online academic library serving students at a distance.
- Experience supporting doctoral level information literacy outcomes.
- This position can be done either virtually or from our office in Minneapolis, MN
- This is a salaried, 40 hour per week, associate librarian position with full benefits.
- Regular hours are Monday through Friday with occasional nights and weekends.
- Travel may be required up to four times per year.