2.8.17 – University Librarian
University of the South Pacific, Laucala Campus, Suva, Fiji
Sarah P’s comments: Last year USP advertised (twice) for a Library Systems Manager for this campus. The general consensus is that if you want to go to the South Pacific, British-based USP is considered the best place to work for. Typically USF has short deadlines so if you are interested and the skills required, I would still get right on it.
Application Due: 02/26/2017
The appointee will lead the formulation and implementation of progressive library policies, practices, initiatives and processes to support the University’s mission and goals and to meet the University’s vision and objectives. The University Librarian leads and manages library/information services, operations and resources across the University using both traditional and innovative technological means for information sharing and transfer in accordance with effective policies and procedures; manages and deploys the Library’s budget effectively and efficiently; recruits, manages and supervises high quality professional and support staff; provides education and training opportunities in the field of library and information science; provides study facilities that respond to new educational pedagogies and those which are ergonomic and conducive to student success; engages effectively to develop and build meaningful partnerships and networks with the University community and key external stakeholders in order to promote the interests of the Library and its staff within USP and the wider community.
The Person We Seek
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- Master’s in Library/Information Science or equivalent from an accredited institution;
- 5 – 7 years’ extension experience and proven track record in an academic library in the areas of management, planning, budgeting, personnel an IT management;
- Extensive experience in planning and implementing strategic goals and initiatives;
- The ability to lead professional and support staff, analyse problems, implement solutions, plan and work with key stakeholders, implement new technologies;
- Effective organisation and customer driven decision-making skills;
- Strong interpersonal, listening, leadership, communication, consensus building, team building, time management and problem solving skills.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- A PhD in Library/Information Science from an accredited institution.
The position is available for a term of 3 years and may be renewed by mutual agreement.
Salary Range: Band 6 FJ $115, 248 to FJ $124, 592 per annum (Inclusive of 15% Gratuity)
An inducement allowance may be paid to secure the services of an exceptionally well qualified candidate.
In addition to the above benefits, the University contributes 10% of basic salary to an approved superannuation scheme, provides airfare and relocation costs where appropriate.
Enquiries: Mr. Sairusi Ratulomai; tel.: (679) 32 32046; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 24 February 2017
How to Apply
Candidates are strongly encouraged to use the University’s online E-Recruitment system to view full details and apply for this position at www.usprecruits.usp.ac.fj Candidates may request further information from the Human Resources Office; tel.: (679) 32 32072; email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org Manual applications are no longer accepted.
Please also include the following documents in your application: Cover letter and Resume clearly addressing key Selection Criteria, academic transcript and names of three referees, one of which must be your current or most recent direct work supervisor.
The University of the South Pacific