12.15.16 – Acquisitions & Resource Management Librarian
American University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Sarah P’s comments: This position was previously posted in October, February, and before that in November of 2015 on IFLAjobs. I would assume they did not fill it due to a lack of qualified candidates but, if so, the position has been vacant for more than a year??? Of the various UAE universities and colleges, AUS is considered near the top of the list of reputable institutions. Positions appear periodically but I have heard they suffer from the same convoluted hiring practices which exist in the rest of the region. For those unfamiliar with the Middle East, the UAE is a safe and progressive country and Sharjah is basically an overgrown suburb of the Dubai. Traffic is horrendous but it’s an interesting place if you are into city life.
The AUS Library is seeking an energetic and knowledgeable Acquisitions and Resource Management Librarian to join its service-oriented team. Reporting to the AUL for Technology and Technical Services, the successful candidate will work closely with library colleagues to provide an integrated approach to the acquisition and management of the library’s electronic, print and media resources.
- Acquisitions, licensing, implementation, assessment and ongoing maintenance of the library print and electronic collections
- Coordinating with the Cataloging and Metadata Librarian to arrange description and control of resources in the library’s WMS system
- Troubleshooting problems arising from ordering, subscription, licensing or access-related technical issues including linking and discovery
- Collecting and analyzing collection usage statistics
- Document delivery
- An ALA-accredited MLS degree
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience
- Knowledge of web-based applications and environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Superior technology skills with openness to emerging technologies
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- The ability to initiate and complete projects in a timely and independent manner
- Familiarity with standards such as EDI/EDIFACT, OpenURL, COUNTER, SUSHI
- Knowledge of metadata standards and formats including MARC, KBART, Dublin Core, AACR2, RDA, LCSH
- 2 years’ experience in print or electronic resource management, commercial knowledge-bases or digital serials management
- Experience working in a university or research environment
- Experience with OCLC WMS or other library services platform
Salary and Benefits
The salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Free furnished accommodation and utilities are provided along with over six weeks’ annual vacation. A self-directed benefit plan provides a variety of choices including annual air tickets to place of origin for self and family, healthcare and dependent educational allowance. The UAE levies no income tax; however, some U.S. Federal taxes may apply to U.S. citizens and resident aliens.
The American University of Sharjah is located in the United Arab Emirates and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Established in 1997, the university consists of four Schools and Colleges: Architecture, Art and Design, Business Administration, Engineering, and Arts and Sciences and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees to over 5000 students from 80 different countries. The language of instruction and the workplace is English, and knowledge of Arabic is not required. The UAE offers a high standard of living with abundant cultural, recreational and travel opportunities. The UAE is a safe, open and friendly environment for individuals and families of all cultures.
The AUS Library, in a beautiful state-of-the-art facility, serves as a focal point for educational and social interactions on campus. The library features a large Information Commons (135 workstations), 20 group study rooms, 2 computer classrooms, and RFID system. Please see http://library.aus.edu.
Please e-mail a cover letter, résumé and the names of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.