12.5.16 – Library Systems Manager
University of the South Pacific, Laucala Campus, Fiji
Sarah P’s comments: This position is a re-post from 6.30.16 and was also listed in 8.4 ND 10.3 in 2015 (not sure if ever filled). If you want to go to the South Pacific, British-based USP is considered the best place to work for. Typically USF has short deadlines so if you are interested and the skills required, I would still get right on it.
The appointee will be responsible for the Systems section of the network of libraries at The USP. She/he will provide excellent leadership, support, and advice in all areas relating to the utilisation and implementation of ICT in a regional and global context, in consultation with the University Librarian and professional library staff. Areas include Library Management Systems, Internet and online services (including web and mobile technologies), Database development, Word processing, Desktop publishing, and Digitisation
The Person We Seek
To be considered for the position, applicants must have: A Master’s degree or a higher qualification in Library Information Science recognised by an accrediting body such as the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA), or a Masters degree in Information Technology/Computer Science. They must also have
- Demonstrated knowledge and at least 8 years’ post-qualification direct relevant experience in
- Planning, implementation and management of integrated Library Management Systems and software programs associated with library functions
- Management of wide area and local area networks
- Management of an electronic office (PCs, Windows, mobile devices, etc.) and relational databases
- Design and management of web sites
- Digitization of library materials
- Ability to develop and implement strategies and policies; identify service developments; develop, implement and evaluate procedures, processes and systems; plan and manage projects, budgets and produce reports for the Library systems section aligned to the University Strategic Plan;
- Self- motivated and well developed team leadership, consensus building, customer focus, training, supervisory and performance management skills
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve complex problems with strong detail orientation, and apply quality assurance techniques
- Ability to make sound decisions, set priorities, meet deadlines, delegate tasks and work under pressure
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills to work effectively with a diverse and multi-cultural university community in leveraging technology
- Cross-service working experience and ability to participate in widely based multi-service initiatives
- Demonstrated active involvement with local library associations and/or regional and international professional associations
- Ability and willingness to work evening and weekend duties on a rostered basis
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Knowledge of and experience with the Spydus, and other commercial and open source library management systems
- Knowledge of Ezproxy
- Knowledge of and experience with Greenstone
- Knowledge and experience with ERAMS (E-resource Access and Management Services, e.g. Serials Solutions) and WSDs (Web Scale Discovery Service, e.g. Summon 2.0, Ebsco Discovery Service, Ex-Libris Primo)
- Knowledge and experience of work in a developing country.
The position is available for a term of 3 years and may be renewed by mutual agreement.
Salary Range: Band 4 FJ $81, 145 to FJ $93, 629 per annum (Inclusive of 15% Gratuity)
Enquiries: Yee, Sin Joan, tel.: +679 32 32282; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
Candidates are strongly encouraged to use the University’s on-line E-Recruitment system to view full details and apply for this position at www.usprecruits.usp.ac.fj Candidates may request further information from the Human Resources Office; tel.: (679) 32 32072; email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org Manual applications are no longer accepted.
Please also include the following documents in your application: Cover letter and Resume clearly addressing key Selection Criteria, academic transcript and names of three referees, one of which must be your current or most recent direct work supervisor.
The University of the South Pacific