11.17.16 – Library Director
Barenboim-Said Akademie, Berlin, Germany
The Library Director is responsible for building and overseeing the Library and Music Archives at the Barenboim-Said Akademie. This individual will oversee the cataloging, access, and use of collections, and work closely with students and faculty at the Barenboim-Said Akademie.
The Library Director reports to the Dean of the Barenboim-Said Akademie.
We are looking for someone who is a self-starter and accustomed to working in a dynamic,
multicultural environment. Must be goal-oriented and a team player, and exhibit cultural
sensitivity and discretion.
The Barenboim-Said Akademie’s main language is English. For more information on the Barenboim-Said Akademie, please go to: http://barenboimsaid.com.
- Build and develop a library at the Barenboim-Said Akademie in coordination with the Dean and the Director of Humanities.
- Introduce and maintain a management, loaning and access system for the Barenboim-Said Akademie, maintaining access to faculty, students, and staff.
- Maintain ties with Berlin library music collections at other Musikhochschulin and at the Staatsbibliothek.
- Represent the Barenboim-Said Akademie in all matters pertaining to its library collection. Assist with representation of the Barenboim-Said Akademie in matters pertaining to reference and research.
- Oversee public and reference services including library policies and procedures, circulation, loan, and reserve functions.
- Maintain subscriptions to academic journals, score collections for the Barenboim-Said Akademie and the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra, and sound collections.
- Coordinate on-campus library related events, such as orientation library tours, library and reference resources for open days, etc.
- Manage and oversee library computer lab.
- Hire and manage staff of student workers and interns, with approval from the Dean.
- Provide assistance, as needed, with the Barenboim-Said Akademie’s Preparatory Program.
- Provide assistance, as needed, with the Barenboim-Said Akademie’s Orientation Program for new students.
- Other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- University undergraduate degree required, with preference given to those holding a degree in music; graduate degree in Library Science desired.
- Familiarity with a Musikhochschule, music conservatory, or university school of music is essential, as well as being conversant and knowledgeable about music as an academic and performance- related higher education field.
- At least two (2) years of higher-education administrative responsibility in a music library required; four (4) years desired.
- Must possess excellent organizational skills, an ability to problem solve, and a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Fluent English, with excellent knowledge of oral and written German; reading knowledge of French or Italian required. Additional languages—especially Arabic, Hebrew, Turkish, and/or Farsi—desired.
- Experience with library management software.
- High level of proficiency with technology, social media, and office productivity tools.
- Capacity and desire to learn and upgrade a variety of computer software skills.
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills in English and German.
- Must be able to handle a demanding work schedule, and have a demonstrated ability to work in an environment that celebrates cultural and ethnic diversity.
Compensation is in line with the federal payscale for similar positions at German public
universities (TVöD-Bund, EG 09B). The position is due to begin as soon as possible.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.