11.7.16 – Deputy Director of Library
University of Kurdistan Hewlêr, Erbil, Iraq
Sarah P’s comments: This university was established in 2006 and has been plagued with all sorts of troubles. I found lots of discussion about their issues up until 2012 when a new Vice Chancellor was appointed. Check it out and decide whether it could be an opportunity.
The Rise of Problems at University of Kurdistan Hawler (UKH)
TripAdvisor: Review of Erbil-Kurdistan
Human Resource Department
University of Kurdistan Hewlêr
* Be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Library, implementing new services and new ways of working as appropriate.
* Develop responsive and high quality learner-focused service that works to defined customer service standards; to staff front-line service desks on a regular basis; and to support students effectively in the use of learning resources.
* Ensure that the Library reflects a quality learning environment, that health and safety requirements are met, and equipment, furniture and fittings are maintained to a high standard.
* Manage Library staff members; to carry out training and induction of these staff; to meet regularly on an individual basis and assist in annual performance and appraisal reviews; to participate in interviewing and recruiting staff.
* Organise meetings that are focused on the quality development of the Library.
* Assist in the selection, organisation and maintenance of learning resources in all formats in the Library within a collection development policy; to ensure that learning resources reflect the diversity and educational priorities of the University.
* Assist in the development and delivery of user education, information and research skills programmes, and to develop appropriate learning materials in print and on-line form; to link these programmes to study skills and subject based programmes in tutorials.
* Catalogue, classify and index learning resources as required.
* Work with the e-learning and Systems Manager and the academic staff to ensure coherence of practice and procedures.
* Seek opportunities for income-generation and course delivery in the Library, working with the e-learning and Systems Manager and Chair of Departments.
* Carry out annual self-assessment reviews of the service and adhere to the quality assurance framework of the University; to carry out surveys of student satisfaction and respond actively to student and staff complaints and suggestions.
* Work closely with other staff and departments to ensure a harmonised approach to service delivery wherever possible.
* Take part in University meetings, working groups and committees; to attend curriculum course team meetings.
* Participate in performance and appraisal reviews.
* Keep informed and up-dated with developments in curriculum, education generally and in professional matters.
* Work cooperatively with Library staff, teaching, curriculum and business support staff and University managers.
* Take responsibility for personal and professional development and to attend staff development and training sessions where required.
* Work at any of the sites served by the University.
* Deputise for the Director of Library as and when required.
* A university degree (Credit Points: 300, Years of Study: Minimum of Three Years*) or equivalent level qualification in Library, Library Management or a relevant field.
* Excellent command of English language as either a native speaker or to have an IELTS band 7.0 or iBT score 100.
* A minimum of five years relevant experience in an academic library or learning resources centre.
* Experience of developing and delivering user education, information and research skills programmes in an academic learning resources context.
* Good interpersonal skills with the ability to lead and motivate a team, and to work effectively with other academic and support staff and University managers.
* Good oral and written communication skills, with ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of staff and students.
* Experience in recruiting, managing and developing staff, preferably within a library setting.
* Generic IT skills with a detailed understanding of new technology and the application of e-learning within an academic Library setting.
* Demonstrable knowledge of higher education and second language learning agendas.
* Commitment to diversity and an understanding of equal opportunities issues within academic library context.
* Understanding of quality systems within education or related areas and their applicability to library services.
Interested applicants are requested to email their Application Form, CV, and Personal
Statement to email@example.com by indicating the Vacancy Title: Deputy Director of Library and inserting the most recent passport size photo in the area provided on the application form.
* Only complete applications: Application Form (with the most recent photo), Personal
Statement and CV will be considered.
* Size of the photo must be 45mm x 35mm with no less than 150 pixels for the quality.
* Any application that does not specify the vacancy applied for will not be considered.
* An Application Form is available at Current Vacancies on the University website
* Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.