10.30.16 – Library Director
Confidential, Caribbean Netherlands
Sarah P’s comments: Name withheld – why the secrecy? I believe this position is with one of two medical schools located in the Caribbean Netherlands. One is Saba University School of Medicine, a top-tier choice. Or it could be St. James School of Medicine, who just consolidated their Bonaire campus into their St. Vincent campus.
Caribbean medical library positions are posted quite regularly if anyone has any interest in medical library positions in nice places. The question is about reputation. Here’s an article discusses the ranking of the Caribbean medical schools. For more information and reviews visit the Caribbean Medical Schools section of ValueMD (also listed in my Book Resources section).
Accredited International Medical School seeks applications for the position of Library Director.
The Medical Library is a 7,000 sq. ft., facility which houses computer terminals, individual study carrels with monitors and video players. In addition, students have access to an extensive selection of journals and textbooks, as well as hundreds of online full-text medical journals through OVID and MD Consult.
The mission of the medical school is to provide students of diverse backgrounds who exhibit a passion for the field of medicine with the opportunity to acquire the medical and clinical expertise needed for a successful career as a practicing clinician, along with the skills and confidence needed to critically evaluate and apply new information. The library staff works with students to enhance self-directed learning, develop essential research skills, and promote academic excellence.
- Supervise library operations and staff;
- Prepare management reports and develop yearly objectives;
- Manage and provide library services (collection development, cataloging, claiming, document retrieval, research);
- Assist students and faculty pursuing course and extracurricular research;
- Participate in the research and informatics education programs;
- Update policies and procedures; and
- Market and promote library services to students and faculty.
Minimum Requirements of Candidates:
- Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited institution.
- At least one year of experience as a professional librarian in an academic or medical school library setting.
- Good written and oral communication skills, with preference for a candidate that can contribute to course development and assessment where appropriate.
- Experience living and/or working overseas is a plus.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is competitive based on qualifications and experience. We also offer competitive health and retirement benefits.
Application Details and Deadline:
The position of Library Director is open immediately and applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is selected. Interested candidates should e-mail a curriculum vitae and cover letter, with salary requirements to: email@example.com