9/21/16 – Online Librarian
American Public University System (APUS), USA
Sarah P’s comments: APU was founded in 1991 to offer online degrees to the US Armed Forces. The reviews from students and faculty are generally positive and they seem to be a growing organization. In the past two APUS has posted five different positions so it seem this model is working for them and could give someone a steady income while allowing some freedom to travel as long as you have a good internet connection. It did not say whether the position requires US citizenship.
Description• Reports To: Associate Dean, Online Librarians
• Department: Library and Instructional Design
• Office Location: Charles Town, WV
• FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
• Date Posted: September 21, 2016
• Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Online Librarian works on a part-time, telecommuting basis and maintains faculty status. This position works in tandem with other librarians along with a departmental team of e-course material staff, copyright/508 auditors, and ePress specialists under the overall direction of the associate dean of online librarians, associate vice president of library operations and associate provost of academic affairs. The online librarian has developed Web skills and specific subject credentials in support of the University’s academic programs. This position focuses on Web-based collection development and the selection of electronic course materials, including the creation of online program and subject portals in active partnerships with academic deans, program directors, faculty, and instructional developers. In addition, the online librarian collaborates in providing virtual reference services for students, including taking the lead for a select database, e-book program, or tutorial services.
• Works in classrooms as adjunct support.
• Develops a Web-based collection and electronic course material selection in support of the following programs: information technology, information technology management, information systems security, and cybersecurity.
• Provides general reference service for American Public University System (APUS) faculty, students, and staff.
• Works collaboratively with academic deans, program chairs, faculty, and instructional developers.
• Specializes in one or more of the library’s contracted database, e-book, or student tutorial programs.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• This position will primarily telecommute; therefore, a high-speed Internet connection with the ability to access American Public University System (APUS) VPN and the current campus-teaching platform and online library site is required. Desk space is available at the Charles Town, WV facilities.
• Must be flexible to work weekends and evenings as directed by the supervisor.
• Travel to one annual meeting and online training sessions required.
• Collegial team environment that stresses cooperative endeavors and encourages exploration.
• Requires a working telephone.
• Professional library/archival skills with an emphasis on electronic formats.
• Ability to interact with students and faculty in a professional and timely manner through electronic media.
• Mastery of online searching and site construction in keeping with the products licensed by the online library.
• Facility with current online searching methods and emerging Web-based applications.
• Working knowledge of educational resources on the deep and open Web.
• Proactive, diplomatic support of the University’s programs.
• Ability to take initiative and work requiring minimum supervision.
• Portal construction skills working with HTML-based content management systems.
• Master’s degree in Library and Information Science required; other advanced degrees in subject specialties taught at APUS preferred.
• Advanced coursework in APUS related programs, including APUS classes is preferred.
• Academic or special library experience in information technology or IT related field required.
• Online information services experience desired.
• Familiarity with office automation packages and knowledge of the changing web software landscape is preferred.