7.11.16 – Luhwahwa Youth Development Foundation
Kasese, Western Region, Uganda
Sarah P’s comments: I haven’t seen this organization advertise before and could not find any reviews.
ELIGIBILITY AND BASIC REQUIREMENTS
Applicants are required to fulfill the requirements;-
1. Be 16 years or older, unless approved by LUYODEFO and accompanied by an adult.
2. Speak and read basic English.
3. Secure funding for travels and accommodations. Volunteers are responsible for the following costs:-
- Passport and Visa fees
- All necessary vaccinations
- Airfare to and from Uganda
- Room and board at the local Guesthouse ($35 per day)
- Transportation while in Uganda (including the trip from Kampala to LUYODEFO and back)
- At least one night hotel stay in Kampala
- Background check (approximately $50)
4. Submit for approval a detailed plan outlining a project prior to departure. Applicants must be able to start and finish the project in the time period of their visit.
5. Complete a state and national background check
6. Complete all of the pre-trip and post-trip requirements,
AVAILABLE VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS:
Librarian and or Reading Coach
Volunteers are required to organize a community library (proper cataloguing and classification of books) and take the initiative to open up the library room for local children daily while helping to organize and conduct reading camps for primary students. Materials: Elementary reading level books, funds for books and computers and software.
Sports Coach –Sports for Transformation
Minimum time for placement and stay is 1 month.
LINKS TO ONLINE PRESENCE OF THE PROJECT/ PROGRAM:
ARRIVAL IN UGANDA
Flying into Uganda, you arrive at the Entebbe International Airport on the shores of Lake Victoria, about 3 km from the town centre of Entebbe. Entebbe Airport is about 45 minutes to 2 hours car ride south from Kampala depending on road traffic. Please be sure to have emailed the LUYODEFO Director your flight details prior to your arrival so he can arrange you to be met and greeted on your arrival.
Kampala is the capital city of Uganda and is approximately 45 minutes to 2 hours away from Entebbe International Airport, depending on traffic. At the airport, LUYODEFO staff will be ready to receive you and we get an Airport Taxi take you to your hotel or guesthouse in Kampala for check in. The airport transfer will cost about $60 USD, including vehicle, driver and fuel.
TRANSFER FROM KAMPALA TO LUYODEFO IN KASESE
LUYODEFO is located in the village of Kisinga in the Kasese District, about 500 km south west of Kampala. The drive takes about 6 – 8 hours in the bus. Depending on your budget and comfort level, LUYODEFO can recommend and arrange the best transport option for you.
OTHER WAYS TO SUPPORT
Volunteers can also work in their home country helping with the following tasks:
(a). Helping to connect LUYODEFO with institutions around your community (organization, school/ college/ university, sports club, youth group/women group, church, clinic, etc.)
(b). Organising fundraisers – this can be for a specific project or general program.
(c). Besides all the above, you can support LUYODEFO by donate seed money for community projects (we accept online donations at http://www.luyodefo-ug.org/donate/).