6.9.16 – Director of Library Programs & Services
Northern Marianas College, Saipan
Sarah P’s comments: Here is a position which tends to appears every 2-3 years. Any of the territories managed by the US tend to be a bit of a mess however any if you are seeking a funky and unique experience go ahead and apply. I have never known anyone to regret going to the South Pacific for a few years. If you would like to know more, read my Spotlight on Sam Crawford who is currently working there as an academic librarian and Acting Library Director.
Annual Salary: $45,314.54 – $51,609.41
Nature of Position: The position is in the Library Programs & Services Department and under the supervision of the Dean of Student Services. It oversees the Saipan campus libraries and acts as a liaison to the Rota and Tinian instructional sites. The Director is responsible for planning, development, coordination, supervision, and evaluation of all library services and staff.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates in Program Review and Outcomes Assessment (PROA) activities such as serving on committees and creating composite reports
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with a culturally diverse staff and student body
- Directs policy for the Library Programs and Services department; including budget preparation, public services, technical services, the Pacific Collection and CNMI Archives, systems development, and collection management
- Assumes responsibility for daily operations of library services
- Reviews and reports departmental statistics and participates in Student Learning Outcomes assessment
- Supervises the allocation and expenditure of departmental funds
- Ensures the quality and balance of the collection according to accepted principles of collection development and management
- Recruits, evaluates, and trains library personnel.
- Establishes and assesses strategic plans for the library department
- Manages the operations of the CNMI Archives and Pacific Collection
- Actively seeks and manages external grants
- Maintains the Koha Open Source Integrated Library system and all digital library content
- Collaborates with local humanities organizations to increase community access to research materials
- Performs other duties assigned.
How to Apply:
Employment application forms are available at the Human Resources Office of the College and a pdf. file can be downloaded from our website: http://www.marianas.edu using Adobe Acrobat. Please submit the following documents to the HR Office: Complete Employment Application Form, Authorization for Release of Prior Employment Information/Consent to Background Check, Copies of all required/preferred degree/diplomas, and Copies of transcripts of all required/preferred degrees/diplomas (except high school). Optional: Cover Letter and Resume (Does not substitute for content that should be on the Employment Application).
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from a U.S. Department of Education recognized and accredited institution
- Two years of progressively responsible library experience.
- One year of supervisory experience at the managerial level.
- Experience with digital asset management systems or a historical research.
- Demonstrated commitment to academic research and information literacy instruction
- Familiarity with Integrated Library System management, original cataloging, open source applications, and library metadata schema
- Experience in archives management, archival processing, and digital humanities
- An advanced degree in the humanities