4.30.16 – Secondment Opportunity for Senior Library Manager
The European Library, The Hague, The Netherlands
Sarah’s comments: Please note the following comment: ‘If you fulfill the Knowledge Worker criteria listed below, we can also take non EU nationals for this post.’
As TEL moves into its next phase, we need a temporary manager for 6-7 months from June-December 2016. We would initially like to offer this as a secondment opportunity for CENL libraries. We’re looking for someone with strong people and project management skills and a solid understanding of library data. This is a great opportunity for someone wishing to improve their international knowledge in an English-speaking environment working at the Europeana office, based in the National Library of the Netherlands, The Hague. If you fulfill the Knowledge Worker criteria listed below, we can also take non EU nationals for this post.
The role – Manager of The European Library We are looking for someone to manage The European Library service and deliver the 2016 TEL Business plan. You will be knowledgeable about the ways libraries work in the digital world and enjoy networking and nurturing relationships in an international environment. You will be able to talk to library directors about strategy and to persuade data specialists to work with you to deliver their data. You will have project management experience and be able to deliver according to deadlines and within budget. You will also be able to review financial reports and control the budget.
Your team You will be part of Europeana Management Team and you will manage five or six people with data ingestion and library relations/marketing backgrounds.
Your responsibilities are to manage:
- the TEL library relations and data ingestion personnel to deliver the TEL service
- the TEL Libraries Network and its working groups
- the work under Europeana DSI 1 & 2 on behalf of TEL
- the strong relations with CENL Board, Executive and Directors of National Libraries
- the budget of The European Library
- productive relationships with existing partner libraries and consortia (through working groups LCG & TWG)
- the relationships with TEL’s research libraries
- Producing and implementing marketing and communication plans for the promotion and re-use of Library Data
- and reporting against plans to CENL
The experience/knowledge you need
- People management of at least three years
- Experience with digital data from a library environment
- A passion for making libraries data work in the digital world
- Project management experience (international projects)
- Experience in partner relationship management
The skills you need
- Excellent people and networking skills
- Strong organization skills
- Good oral and writing communication skills
- Ability to work independently with little guidance
- Positive mind set with focus on solutions
- Ability to build and maintain good working relationships with a culturally diverse team of colleagues and stakeholders
- Willingness to travel,
- Fluent English, both spoken and written
- Another European language (desirable)
Salary and benefits
Your monthly gross salary will be between € 4,219 to € 5,425 in line with the Collective Labour Agreement for Research Institutes Scale 12. You’ll also enjoy 42 days holidays per year, a holiday allowance (8%) and an annual bonus (8.33%).
Non EU Knowledge Worker Criteria
If you do not have a work permit for the EU or are not a citizen of a European Union country, we can consider you as a Knowledge Migrant. For this to work you must be able to comply to the following:
If you are more than 30 years old you must be on an average monthly salary of € 4,240, If you are under 30 your average monthly salary must be a minimum of € 3,108. If you hold a European Blue Card your salary will be a minimum of € 4,968
How to apply
Send your CV (in English) with a covering letter telling us why you’re interested in this position to nienke.vanschaverbeke@TheEuropeanLibrary.org.