Sarah P’s comments: This is a volunteer position listed as a ‘job’ which is a little confusing. The position does include room and board and a stipend. While not strictly library, it is a position supporting literacy and if you have ESL experience and are seeking a way into international work, here is a chance to get your foot in the door. FYI: this position is restricted to citizens of the United States, Canada, or the Dominican Republic and Nicaragua. Here is a review.
Outreach360 is a non-profit organization working in the Dominican Republic and Nicaragua. Our mission is to enable children to live a life of choice- to help them to stay in school, to be qualified when completing high school to be able to choose between a college education or gainful employment.
We involve American and Canadian high schools, colleges, churches, individuals, and families to teach in our “Learning Centers”, focusing on teaching English to motivated students. We also involve children in fun and exciting English Immersion Camps, where they have the opportunity to engage in fun and unique activities such as art, music and drama while having authentic opportunities to practice and improve their English speaking skills.
We have openings for individuals and couples to join us in the Dominican Republic and Nicaragua. The ideal candidates will be enthusiastic, flexible, love people, speak Spanish and English fluently, have at least five years post undergraduate work or academic experience, have 2+ years international experience in a country other than their own, and have proven leadership and management ability. Both members of couples team will need to qualify as a staff member (Team Leader or Program Leader). Candidates are not able to have partners or spouses who are not leaders nor children accompany them for this position due to the minimal educational opportunities available, the heavy workload, the extreme flexibility required, and the limited living accommodations available. Applicants must be citizens of the United States, Canada, or the Dominican Republic and Nicaragua.
Your primary role will be to implement and manage challenging and productive academic classes that work to transform the lives of students we serve. You will also be responsible for involving short-term volunteers to be a meaningful contribution to the program and to our results in the community. You will quickly have the opportunity and expectation to take on increasing leadership roles, including administration and supervision. Your transportation to and from your home location in the U.S. or Canada and the Dominican Republic/Nicaragua are covered, along with your room and board, and excellent international medical insurance. A basic monthly financial stipend based on experience with a possible gradual increase.
The northwest section of the Dominican Republic in the town of Monte Cristi.
In the northern mountains of Nicaragua in the town of Jinotega.
To “Release the Hero Within” all people you come in contact with. To make a difference in the local community. To make a difference with our international volunteers.
We are looking to fill this position with a qualified candidate as soon as possible. This position will remain open until filled.
Additional Outreach360 info:
To learn more about Outreach360, visit: http://www.outreach360.org
General Selection Process:
- Review this job description to determine if you are qualified to apply.
- If qualified and interested, fill out the online application by clicking “apply for this job” below.
- You will be notified within 7 days if you have been selected for a video interview with one of our leaders. Couples applying for the position will be interviewed separately, but hired jointly.
Position Specific Accountabilities:
The Outreach360 Program Leader has overall responsibility for the “difference making” Outreach360 volunteers have, and the success students in the community are having in the program.
The Program Leader’s responsibilities include:
- Ensuring the volunteer’s safety and health (#1 Priority).
- Creating an experience such that our volunteers know they made a difference during their time with Outreach360.
- Manage student enrollment and progress in academic programs, and attendance at English Immersion Camps.
The Program Leader’s tasks include:
- Designing each week to best match volunteer abilities with local needs.
- Coordinating with local leaders.
- Leading program orientation to make sure volunteers are well prepared for their week.
- Volunteer oversight and guidance, especially as it relates to program delivery.
- Lead academic programs in the absence of short-term volunteers.
EFL, Literacy, Community Health, Environment, Life Skills.
The Program Leader’s position could be compared to that of a camp activities director, curriculum planner, school department head, or ESL Director.
This is a position where you can make a significant difference. Both with the children you are impacting, and also with the many American and Canadian volunteers who join us. It is a life-changing experience for almost all volunteers; you create that opportunity for them. This is also an opportunity to be immersed in a new and different culture.
This is more than a full time position. The days are long and the weeks are full as we have volunteer teams arriving week after week. We do our best to manage the well-being of our leaders by offering generous time-off; You will have down time and days off each month, but it is definitely not an 8-5 job. These positions should be filled by individuals who are high energy, and who enjoy lots of work.
The Dominican Republic is a great country with friendly and welcoming people. We are working in the small, beautiful town of Monte Cristi on the northwest coast of the Dominican Republic. It is a great community filled with motivated and deserving children.
The town of Jinotega is located in the mountains of Nicaragua, two hours north of Managua. It is the coffee capital of Nicaragua. This small town is often called the “City of Mists” for the mist that hangs on the surrounding mountain tops.
- Our Team Leaders and Program Leaders may be living in either of these locations, and may need to occasionally move from one to the other.
At all locations you should plan on having living and sleeping facilities the size of a hotel room dorm room, with private bathroom. All meals are eaten in a common area, so there is no need for personal kitchen facilities. Most of your time is spent away from your room, so housing is not critical. We have internet and phone access at all locations. Our Leaders should understand they will be working outside of their room, and be satisfied with very simple yet adequate accommodations.
Outreach360 is a very structured organization, protective of our volunteers and local reputation. We have a no alcohol and no smoking policy. You must maintain appropriate relationships with Outreach360 staff, international volunteers, students, and locals.
Please contact email@example.com with any position specific questions prior to applying.
- 5+ years of full-time post college graduation experience leading education/ESL programs.
- International experience.
- High level of fluency (oral and written) in Spanish and English.
- Proficient driving skills with a stick shift (manual transmission) before arrival in country.
- First aid and CPR certified.
- People person.
- Food, housing and travel expenses are covered.
- Salary based on experience.
- Yearly travel stipend
- Great international medical insurance
- Quarterly performance review and development support
Please make sure that you meet the minimum requirements prior to applying. If you have any questions about the position or your qualifications, email: firstname.lastname@example.org