4.15.16 – Director of Development
Lubuto Library Partners, Washington, DC, USA
Sarah P’s comments: This is a USA position however, as it working with a non-profit organization whose aim is to develop and support libraries in Africa, I imagine it will include some travel to Africa. For those with grant-writing experience it could be a foot in the door of the NGO world.
About Lubuto Library Partners:
Lubuto, which has pioneered a unique, dynamic and effective approach to child- and youth-targeted development in southern Africa, is ready to take a dramatic leap forward in its operations. Providing open library systems and accessible services and working to build the capacity of African colleagues and communities, Lubuto opens the world up to young people. Our mission is to empower African children and youth – especially those not in school and highly vulnerable –and help them gain the knowledge and skills needed to reconnect with their culture and community and participate fully in society.
Lubuto constructs enduring, indigenously-styled open-access libraries stocked with comprehensive collections of well-chosen books and appropriate technology. These libraries serve as safe havens and are the center for Lubuto’s outreach and programs, which offer education, psychosocial support and self-expression through reading, music, art, drama, computers, mentoring and other activities.
More than 80,000 children have visited Lubuto libraries over three quarters of a million times in disadvantaged communities in Zambia. More information about us can be found at Lubuto.org.
About the position:
The Director of Development is responsible for identifying grant opportunities that are aligned with Lubuto’s mission, including as a cooperating partner subcontractor. The Director will prepare related proposals, in coordination with other Lubuto staff. The Director will also work with Lubuto’s President and other Board members, in developing and managing Lubuto’s major gifts program.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic and optimistic professional who:
- Embraces the mission of Lubuto Library Partners.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Has a solid understanding of the funding mechanisms and grant processes of USAID and other internationally focused and Lubuto-relevant funding organizations.
- Is familiar with international development contractors and their partnership engagements.
- Displays knowledge and experience in relevant areas of grant development.
- Possesses the skills to work with and motivate staff, Board members and volunteers.
- Is a “self-starter,” driven to develop and maintain network relationships.
- Organizes and leads efforts, and consistently “follows through” on tasks and goals.
- Displays a positive attitude, shows concern for people and community, and demonstrates presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- Cares deeply about advancing the educational status and rights of young people in substantially disadvantaged communities globally.
- Holds a bachelor’s degree.
- Possesses at least 3 years of relevant professional experience.
Key position responsibilities:
- Identify and follow-up on grant opportunities relevant to Lubuto’s mission and capacity, including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Work with Lubuto’s President to develop a major gifts program, including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Conduct prospect research.
- Work closely with Lubuto’s President and Founder, and the Board of Directors, on strategy and outreach.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about Lubuto with the donor, stakeholder and beneficiary communities.
- Coordinate Board Development Committee meetings.
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Perform other related duties, as requested.
Competitive/commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
E-mail letter of interest with résumé to email@example.com with the subject header: LLP Development Director. This position will remain open until filled by a qualified candidate.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.