4.7.16 – Information Technology Librarian
Library and Learning Commons, Zayed University, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Sarah P’s comments: Zayed has been considered one of the better colleges to work for in the UAE however in recent years their reputation has slipped. They have always had sporadic hiring practices; interviewing then no communication, it appearing that a job is likely and then no contract, etc. This position was advertised in 9/15 so I am not sure whether it was never filled or if someone has left.
Dubai is a new, crazy city with lots of traffic but it is interesting and the Emirates remain a safe to live. Be prepared for more expats than Arab nationals and watch the low oil prices because this is affecting the economy.
Zayed University, a leading university in the United Arab Emirates, is an innovative institution based on an international model of higher education. The University has experienced rapid growth, and currently has over 900 faculty and staff serving approximately 9,500 undergraduate and 800 graduate students on its twin campuses in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Zayed University prepares graduates to become leaders in government, business, civil society, and family life, and to contribute to building a knowledge-based economy and society. Through a curriculum grounded in learning outcomes, the University expects its graduates to be proficient in both English and Arabic, and to possess the skills in communication, technology, information literacy, research, critical thinking, and global awareness that will make them leaders in the interconnected 21st-century world. English is the primary language of instruction. Zayed University is fully accredited in the UAE, and by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education in the US.
The United Arab Emirates is a progressive country known for its high standard of living and its safe, family-friendly, multi-national environment.
The Library & Learning Commons seeks an incumbent for the position of Information Technology Librarian, reporting to the Assistant Director, Technical Services. The position plays a key role in the Technical Services Department of Library and Learning Commons to support the library operations by maintaining Integrated Library System (ILS) and associated applications; incorporating new technologies and implementing innovative solutions to enhance learning and research for the information needs of students, faculty and users of Zayed University Library; providing functional support and training for library staff in the operation of the Library System and associated applications.
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Demonstrated knowledge of information technology applied in library and research settings
- Knowledge of current standards in cataloging and metadata description
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively, both independently and with a wide variety of people, staff resources and departments
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
- Work with the Assistant Director of Technical Services to prepare the short and long-term plans, implement the technical projects in the Library, and recommend innovative initiatives and technology to expand library services
- In collaboration with Technical Service Team, Zayed University IT, Library vendor and other business partners, to implement the new ILS with the agreed project outcomes delivering on time, within budget and in optimal use
- Responsible for the maintenance, coordinate the testing of upgrades and new functionality
- Manage bibliographic data loads and database maintenance routines, maintain logs of system programs, creates reports and globally update data in the Library System
- Help with troubleshooting and resolving hardware, software and network problems in the Library
- Contribute to the analysis of supporting development of Library System and associated applications, and the adoption of functional changes that lead to improvements in service and workflows
- Collaborate with IT and business partners to ensure system/database integrity and information security
- Provide functional support and training for library staff in the operation of the Library System and associated applications
- Contribute to the on-going development of the Library System by participating in user groups and forums locally, in the region and/or internationally
- Perform any duties as assigned by the superiors
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program or its equivalent
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant library related experience
- Formal qualifications or studies in a computer studies related field would be advantageous
- Knowledge of current library information technologies, library bibliographic standards and cataloging rules
- Skilled in working with current web standards, application programming and mobile technology
- Experience in system migration at academic library setting and/or working as system administrator, preferably in Millennium/Sierra, is desirable
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
- Knowledge of Arabic is desirable but not a requirement
- The University’s benefits package is highly attractive, with competitive salaries free of tax in the U.A.E., housing, a furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children and healthcare is provided to the employee and sponsored family members. ?
- Please visit our web site www.zu.ac.ae click on ‘Employment’ to be directed to the recruitment website. In addition to completing the online application form, attach a cover letter, a current CV, and the names and contact details of three professional references.
While we appreciate all applications, you will be contacted only if you are selected for an interview.