3.25.16 – Media/Video Archivist
Virgin Islands Public Broadcasting System, St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Sarah P’s comments: An interesting and never-before seen opportunity, at least since I have been looking. However, I don’t know what the salary range would be as an MLIS is not required. Also, they do not say which nationalities can apply but here is some general information:
Americans: If you are an American citizen you do not need any new documents in terms of work visas or papers. American citizens can freely travel and work in the U.S.V.I. Social Security cards are needed, passports are a good idea, other identification papers like drivers license and a birth certificate should be carried.
Not American: If you are not an American then you will be required to secure a resident alien status, work visa, student visa and/or temporary visa – as you would have to do in order to live and work in the United States mainland. The same federal immigration regulations that exist in the US mainland are in use in the Virgin Islands.
Virgin Islands Public Broadcasting System has an opening for a Media/Video Archivist on St. Thomas. The successful candidate will be responsible for the physical media and the digital assets of the station.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Collect, record, and maintain files, documents and photographs;
* Maintain and enhance current storage practices for physical media;
* Evaluate media/video content for preservation and retention;
* Ingest, record, and evaluate analog video content of historical importance; identify content that will provide long-term value to WTJX and transcode the content into digital format;
* Perform cataloging, retrieving, tracking and distributing of digital/ physical inventory;
*Respond to telephonic, email and written inquiries regarding media collection;
*Make duplicates of media content for sale and/or distribution among internal and external clients;
*Maintain knowledge and information on current trends and changes in the industry;
*Assist with developing and updating the online catalog of WTJX’s media collection; and
*Assist with developing long-term conservation, preservation and restoration strategies for WTJX’s media/video library.
*High school diploma or its equivalent;
* Three (3) years of experience in managing video assets and written records; or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job;
* Ability to demonstrate working knowledge of cataloging, librarian technology, standardize cataloging maintenance, archival practices and procedures;
* Familiar with organized video library, conservation and preservation of media and documents;
* Ability to demonstrate working knowledge of basic operational use of video recorders, DVD duplicator/recorder and video playback servers;
* Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; and
* Computer literate in Microsoft Office applications, desktop publishing and word processing.
*Ability to work flexible hours;
*Ability to drive with a valid VI Driver’s License;
*Ability to lift 30 pounds; and
*Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and three (3) current professional letters of recommendation by April 6, 2016, to:
Diane C. Richardson, PHR, SHRM-CP
Human Resources Director
Virgin Islands Public Broadcasting System
P.O. Box 7879
St. Thomas, VI 00801