3.22.16 – Head of Libraries
Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research (KUSTAR), Abu Dhabi, UAE
Sarah P’s comments: There are an abundance of universities in the UAE, some good, some not so good. KUSTAR does have good reviews to date and I am including a link to an article which mentions them in their discussion of the pros and cons of working in the Middle East. The article is from 2012 but the information is still accurate and the author shares some insights which you should be aware of if you are considering working in the region.
The Middle East Option by William Roden, Inside Higher Ed, 2/8/12.
About Khalifa University: With campuses in Abu Dhabi and Sharjah, Khalifa University is dedicated to the advancement of learning through teaching and research and to the discovery and application of knowledge. It endeavours to be an internationally recognised research university, with a world class reputation for interdisciplinary teaching and research and a tradition of partnering with leading academic institutions from around the world.
The University actively develops an international network of partners, faculty members, and research programs to advance regionally relevant research and innovation in the UAE and the region at large.
About the Department:
The Library provides information resources and services responsive to the teaching, learning, and productivity of students, faculty, and researchers. The Library’s main functions and responsibilities are:
- To provide and facilitate access to quality resources and services for excellence in innovation, research, teaching and learning;
- To provide leadership and expertise in navigating an increasingly complex and diverse information environment;
- To develop education and training programs to equip faculty and students with the skills for lifelong learning and to satisfy the information and research needs of these clients;
- To foster library staff to become innovative information specialists, skilled in providing exceptional service;
- To contribute to the development and enhancement of the University’s goals and objectives.
The position is responsible for administration of the libraries and their staffing, resources, services, and budget. About the Role:
- Plans space and equipment for effective utilization
- Plans and manages staffing to provide effective services including circulation, acquisitions, cataloging, instruction, reference, document delivery, data management
- Plans for systems implementations and effective use of technology, including LMS, digital repository, visualization and productivity software,
- Promotes development of new information and innovation through provision of productivity tools
- Prepares and administers budget
- Sets collection policies and monitors acquisitions
- Negotiates contracts for electronic resources and services
- Provides high-level instruction and research service for faculty and graduate students
- Encourages staff development to stay current with library trends
- Represents library in university and beyond
- Serves on eFADA (UAE library consortium) Board
About The Person:
- Master of Science in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution. PhD preferred. Masters in science or engineering preferred.
- Minimum five years experience as professional librarian in science/engineering academic libraries required. Experience with data management preferred.
About Other Requirements:
- Demonstrated interest in academic research and teaching environment;
- Demonstrated knowledge of resources and information-seeking skills in the sci/tech disciplines;
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective team leader and team participant
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with students, faculty, and librarian peers;
- Demonstrated positive interpersonal skills and client service orientation;
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage projects, work under stress and meet deadlines;
- Demonstrated flexibility, skill at multi-tasking, taking initiative, being creative;
- Demonstrated potential to contribute to profession through research, publishing, teaching, or professional service.
Note: you will be required to attach the following:
2. Passport-size photograph
Closing date: 6.30.16
Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research (KUSTAR)