2.9.16 – Librarian (School)
Kwajalein School System, Kwajalein Atoll, Republic of the Marshall Islands
Sarah P’s comments: If you want a laid-back, out-of-the-way experience in a small, well-established school, this is the place to go. It’s a military base so you are teaching American students and it’d small but, having lived in the Marshalls, I can tell you it doesn’t get better than this. Traditionally, this school has always recruited via the Iowa Fair but now they have a direct link for applying. They do not say but I believe this is a K-12 position. Read International School Reviews for more info.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the administration of a library program which includes archival functions and a periodical and subscription program.
- Plans the acquisition, organization, maintenance, utilization, and retention of materials and equipment in the Library.
- Maintains a working knowledge of, builds, and arranges, specialized information resources and works with users in obtaining required information for the library.
- Administers and performs duties associated with periodicals and books for all students.
- Researches, acquires, assembles, catalogs, restores if necessary, exhibits if required, maintains, and stores items of historical/archival importance to the school or its development.
- Other duties as assigned such as Yearbook advisor.
JOB SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of library administration, its policies and procedures, and the proper resources to meet student needs.
- Must be able to work well with staff members, administrators, and parents.
- Must be flexible and have good communication skills.
- Knowledge of Six Sigma program tools and methodologies and/or Six Sigma Certification.
- Human relation skills are needed to work effectively with students and teachers.
- 3 years of experience in related field.
- Teaching experience/experience with libraries and children.
- 5 or more years experience in related field.
- Yearbook Advisor experience.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
- Teaching certificate and/or Librarian certificate from one of the 50 States.
- Librarian or Media Specialist certification.
- Must be able to relocate to the Marshall Islands
- You must have a valid passport in your possession prior to departure and must maintain a current passport during stay on island.
- This position is unaccompanied.
- Common Access Card (CAC) not required to perform job duties.
- This is a position of Public Trust.