Job: K-12 Librarian

1/29/16 –  K-12 Librarian
Colegio Interamericano, Guatemala City, Guatemala

Sarah P’s comments:  This position is listed on TIE (The International Educator).  I am sharing some details however if you are interested in applying you should, in all fairness, join TIE for $39 per year.  You will then have access to all 22 of the current international school librarian positions available as well as lots of other relevant information and articles about international school jobs.  Reviews for this school are fairly good, more info can be found on International School Reviews, another must-join organization if you are serious about finding a job in a reputable school. (FYI: I receive no kickbacks from these organizations, I share this information only as an assist to librarians.)  No job description posted for librarian on the school’s website or on TIE.  If interested I recommend writing and asking for one.


Name: Colegio Interamericano
Location: Guatemala
Address: Boulevard La Montana
Guatemala City,
Telephone: 502-2200-2990
Fax: 502-2200-2990 ext. 100
Updated: 01/27/2016

Colegio Interamericano is a private co-educational day school in Guatemala City for children in grades Pk-12, currently enrolling 1170 students. The school is located on the outskirts of Guatemala City in a hilly part of the countryside, adjacent to Rafael Landívar University. The school is accredited by SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools). It also is accredited by the Ministry of Education of Guatemala. The school is an active member of AASCA (Association of American Schools in Central America), and students and staff regularly participate in the numerous activities offered by this regional organization.

Students from Guatemala comprise approximately 85% of the student population, while the other 15% are from 23 other countries. The school operates with a USA calendar system, with classes starting in August and ending in June. The school calendar includes a four-week vacation in December, and seven weeks in July and August.

Graduating students from Colegio Interamericano receive a High School diploma from the USA, as well as a Bachillerato en Ciencias y Letras which enables them attend universities in Guatemala, as well as those in the United States or other countries of their choosing.

The teaching staff of the school includes approximately 50% personnel from the USA, Canada, and other foreign countries. The remainder of the staff is from Guatemala.

The school is located on 13 acres of beautiful terraced land. There are 79 classrooms and four science laboratories, a music building, and an art center. The library media center includes both elementary and secondary sections, a computer lab, and a state of the art multi-media lab. Green areas surround all of the buildings. The school has an open air gym, a soccer field, basketball and volleyball courts, a theatre, and a recreation area for the pre-school, and the elementary grades 1-5. The cafeteria serves all students and staff. The school infirmary is fully equipped and staffed with a doctor and a nurse.

A fleet of 23 buses picks up and delivers students and staff members throughout the city. All the buses have private radio systems and bus monitors. Colegio Interamericano is a non-profit organization founded in 1976 by Fundación Educativa Guatemala. The mission of Colegio Interamericano is to prepare its students for life and for studies anywhere in the world, by orienting them towards being responsible members of society. The school seeks to provide opportunities for students to grow intellectually, to achieve academic excellence, to be responsible, to think critically, to be creative, and to develop moral integrity.

Age Restrictions: No


Visit our website:
Watch our promotional video:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s