11/11/5 – Archivist/Librarian
National Library of Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
2016 Web Archive Project Archivist/Librarian
The National Library of Ireland (NLI) is seeking a talented, self-motivated Archivist/Librarian to work on the National Library of Ireland’s 2016 web archive.
Brief Description of Position:
As part of the NLI’s programme for 2016 which includes the strand Remembering 1916, Recording 2016, the NLI intends to capture and preserve the content of key websites that tell the story of 2016 online. This includes the centenary commemorations of the 1916 Rising and also commemorations of the Irish experience of the Battle of the Somme. The 2016 Web Archive Project Archivist/Librarian will be responsible for working on this with NLI staff to ensure that relevant websites are identified and captured and that all aspects of the web archiving process are completed in relation to this project.
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a stimulating, challenging environment, and contribute to the creation of an online record of the documentary and intellectual output of Ireland in relation to the commemorative events of 2016.
- Work as part of the NLI Digital Library team to identify, select and verify websites for inclusion in the 2016 NLI Web Archive and plan the schedule for website crawls
- Liaise with NLI and external subject experts
- Rights clearance: liaise with website publishers to obtain permission for inclusion in NLI Web Archive
- QA archived sites and work with external contractor to resolve issues
- Create metadata for selected websites
- Develop public engagement with NLI Web Archive through public call to nominate the most significant Irish websites for 2016
- Promote NLI 2016 Web Archive through NLI’s own communication channels, eg. NLI blog, Twitter etc. and through outreach and learning opportunities, eg. presentations, talks, workshops
- Work with NLI Outreach Department to provide content and input to NLI’s 2016 Programme and related publicity
- Graduate/Postgraduate qualification in Library/Archival studies
- Knowledge of 20th century Irish history and culture
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team- and project-oriented environment
- Demonstrated interest in working within the digital library domain
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results on time
- Ability to learn new skills quickly
- Familiarity working with digital material
- Interest in and knowledge of Irish digital landscape
- Experience with web archiving activities and tools
- Experience creating descriptive metadata for web content using international library standards
- Experience using issue tracking and project management software
How to Apply
Applications must be made on the official application form.
For further details about the role and to download an application form, please refer to the National Library’s website at: http://www.nli.ie/vacancies
The completed application form with two additional copies must be submitted by post to:
National Library of Ireland,
4, Kildare Street,
to arrive not later than 17:00 hours on Tuesday 24th November 2015.
Application forms received after the deadline date and time will not be accepted.