11/4/15 – Elementary School Librarian
The International School of Muscat (TAISM), Muscat, Oman
Sarah P’s comments: Please note that you must be a certified US School Media Specialist. (If you are not then please read the School Librarian chapter of my book and/or check the Book Resources area for info on how to do achieve this.) Oman is one of my two favorite countries in the world (the other is Chile) and TAISM is arguably the best school opportunity in the country. That is not to say it is prefect, there have been complaints in the past regarding wealthy Lebanese students. However if you enjoy camping, swimming, boating, and good weather this is a fabulous location.
TAISM announces an extraordinary opportunity for an Elementary School (ES) Librarian to join our Elementary school team. If you’re a certified librarian (preferably from an American Library Association accredited institution), we invite you to apply to be a part of TAISM’s commitment to academic, social, and professional excellence.
We know that being an overseas educator is more than educational credentials, experience and qualifications. If you’re confident, flexible and innovative – with an adventurous spirit – we want you to be a part of a team that creates the best possible learning environment for our students. Reporting to the Elementary School Principal, the Elementary School Librarian will be joining a dynamic team of top-notch professionals who teach – and learn – in a beautiful purpose-built facility where an American and international student body flourishes in a small class size environment.
The selected candidate will offer a proven ability to appropriately plan, develop and implement a successful school library media program. Key to your success will be your collaborative approach to working with TAISM’s administration, teachers, students and parents and your proven contribution to curriculum development committees and technology leadership teams.
Read on for a snapshot of the skills and talents we’re looking for you to bring to this position.
- Proven ability to work productively through collaborative interactions with colleagues and parents
- Demonstrated knowledge of current trends and philosophies affecting school library media programs including technological opportunities
- Recognized ability to develop and maintain a current collection that supports the established curriculum
- Communicate with students in a manner that inspires a love for learning through literacy
- Demonstrated willingness to examine and implement change as appropriate
- Valid School Library Media Certification
Bachelor’s degree in Library Science, preferably from an American Library Association accredited institution
- 2 yrs minimum experience in teaching Elementary School students in a library setting
- Experience in operation of an elementary school library media center
“Nice to Have”
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Library Science