10/13/15 – Law Librarian
The College of the Bahamas, Nassau, Bahamas
Sarah P’s Comments: COB positions are required to be posted whenever they renew which means that the current librarian might or might not be leaving. The last time this position was listed was 2/2/15 and I do not know whether it was a true opening and filled or whether this is a re-posting.
Summary: Established in 1974, The College of The Bahamas is the national higher education institution of The Commonwealth of The Bahamas. With an enrolment of 5000 students, the College offers master, bachelor and associate degrees.
Position: The Department of Libraries and Instructional Media Services invites applications for a full-time faculty position at the rank of Librarian II, Law Librarian, with responsibility for the overall management of the law collections which supports the Bachelor of Laws degree programme.
The successful candidate will be dynamic and innovative with a strong commitment to service within a diverse community; will have experience working within a Voyager software environment; strong analytical skills; strong leadership capabilities; demonstrated knowledge of legal research and resources; a sound understanding of emerging technologies and the ability to apply then within the library setting; and a strong commitment to developing a cohesive and strong integrated library service within the academy.
The position reports to the Deputy Librarian.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversight of the smooth operation of the law reference desk services and collections;
- Training, mentoring and evaluating staff to ensure efficiency of reference desk services and growth in usage of the collection;
- Evaluating reference desk services and usage of collections and making appropriate recommendations;
- Recommending policies and procedures that meet established standards;
- Participating in budget analysis and preparation; monitoring expenditure of approved budget allocations;
- Coordinating collection development activities in keeping with established policies;
- Supervising full-time and part-time staff and student workers
- Conducting bibliographic and information literacy sessions;
- Preparing reports; attending professional and general staff meetings;
- Serving on library and college wide committees;
- Engaging in research and professional activities;
- Working evenings and weekends on rotation
- Applicants must possess at least a master’s degree in Library Science from an accredited institution and a minimum of five years post qualification experience, preferably in a Law Library;
- Skills in library automation, manipulation of legal database, online searching, bibliographic and information literacy instruction, and evidence of managerial or supervisory experience.
- A Law degree and knowledge of the Commonwealth and Caribbean legal systems are desirable.
Applicants should send the following:
- A completed College of The Bahamas Application for Employment Form ( www.cob.edu.bs/hrprofile);
- A letter of interest (highlighting work experience and accomplishments relevant to the position);
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae or resume;
- Librarianship philosophy statement;
- Evidence of excellence in librarianship;
- Evidence of research and scholarship;
- Evidence of service to the profession;
- Unofficial transcripts (official transcripts needed for employment); and
- At least three confidential, professional references.
Applications will NOT be considered without the complete package.
The College of the Bahamas
Thompson Boulevard & Poincianna Drive
P. O. Box N-4912
Nassau 0000 Bahamas