10/5/15 – 2016 Mortenson Summer Associates Program
Mortenson Center, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA
Sarah P’s comments: The well-regarded Mortenson Program is associated with the University of Illinois Graduate School of Library and Information Science, one of the top programs in the US. Their mission is to strengthen international ties among libraries and librarians worldwide for the promotion of international education, understanding, and peace and offer an annual professional development program for librarians from outside of the United States. If you are seeking a way to improve your career and meet other global librarians, you should consider applying to attend. Cost will be your most significant factor and thus you might need to research local resources for scholarships or, if you are employed, make a case for how attending the program will help your library. Here also is a list of possible financial aid resources which the Center recommends.
2016 Summer Associates Program: May 25 – June 21, 2016
The Mortenson Center Associates Program continues in summer 2016 with a new theme, “Innovative, Responsive, and Vital Libraries”. The program will offer library and information science professionals from outside the United States an opportunity to explore current issues and trends in the field and to engage with librarians on the cutting-edge.
Applications for the 2016 Associates Program are due on December 1, 2015.
- Seminars and Workshops which provide an overview of current trends in the field. Library experts will be invited to share their perspectives, offer expertise, and foster conversations on the themes of communication and leadership.
- Tours of a variety of libraries, including academic, public, and school libraries. We may also visit the American Library Association headquarters in Chicago, Illinois and other sites of interest.
- Networking with dynamic group of international colleagues during and post-program.
- Participants will develop individual action plans, appropriate to their professional and institutional needs, and will receive post-program implementation review.
- Each participant will receive a Certificate of Program Participation upon completion.
- Scheduling to allow participants to attend the Annual Meeting of the American Library Association (ALA), if they wish. The 2016 Annual Meeting will be in Orlando, Florida, June 24-27. Arrangements and registration for the conference must be made separately and are not included in program costs.
For an application, cost estimate, or more information about the 2016 program, please visit the Mortenson Center website: http://www.library.illinois.edu/mortenson/associates
For comments about past programs, please visit: http://www.library.illinois.edu/mortenson/activities/OldPrograms.html