Sarah P’s comments: For anyone in the Middle East or interested in working in and/or learning more about libraries in that region here is a joint conference. Sessions are an eclectic mix of offerings for public, school, and academic librarians. Interesting.
FYI: Traditionally anyone working in the region belonged to SLA – Arabian Gulf Chapter and could attend their annual regional conferences.
Your registration includes:
- International expert presenters
- 15 concurrent programs on topics for all types of libraries (public, academic, school, and special libraries) covering the topics that help you stay on top of library transformation and needs
- Keynote speakers, including ALA 2015-16 President Sari Feldman, Columbia University Librarian Emeritus James G. (Jim) Neal, and Sharjah dignitaries
- All sessions in English and Arabic (simultaneous translation)
- Poster sessions for more best practices and ideas. List of poster session presenters. (PDF file)
- Certificate of participation after in-person attendance
- Networking opportunities and use of the Librarians’ Lounge
- Access to all session recordings
- The chance to chat with sponsors and exhibitors about the latest technologies and services
- Free hotel for anyone who purchases $10,000 or more of materials for their library at SIBF
- Coffee, snacks, and lunch on Wednesday and Thursday
- Conference bags and program book
Conference registration rates
ALA member 250 AED ($70 USD); non ALA member 350 AED ($100 USD)
Optional preconference Tuesday, November 10: RDA: Resource Description and Access (full day with Magda El-Sherbini, head of The Ohio State University Libraries’ Cataloging Department). ALA members 525 AED ($140 USD); non ALA members 750 AED ($200 USD). You can add this optional preconference during the registration process.
You may need a visa if you are traveling from another country to the United Arab Emirates. SIBF will help with the arrangements; use this SIBF page to find out if you need a visa and how to apply. Deadline to apply for a visa is Saturday, October 10, 2015. (If you request a letter of invitation, we will send it after you register.)
2014 participants said it was “a great conference. . . . really inspiring . . . . memorable experience!”
Check www.ala.org/sibf or track the tag #SIBFALA15 for updates. Join us!
For additional information, please contact the ALA International Relations Office at email@example.com.