Shape the future of higher education at one of the nation’s fastest-growing and most dynamic private, nonprofit universities. Help drive student success in a unique culture of innovation that values teamwork, openness and diversity. Enjoy a highly competitive benefits package from an organization ranked a Best College to Work For eight years in a row by The Chronicle of Higher Education.
The Shapiro Library at Southern New Hampshire University seeks an engaged, service-oriented Reference Librarian who welcomes the opportunity to offer services that meet the learning needs of SNHU students, faculty, and staff. Reporting to the Head of Reference, the Librarian works as a member of a collaborative staff providing prompt, courteous and supportive virtual reference service to all library users seeking information via an electronic means; such as email, chat, VoIP (voice over IP such as Google Voice) and through videoconferencing.
Staffing the virtual reference desk, the librarian will assist users with research, utilizing library tools and resources, and suggest materials for further study. This individual will also assist users with general inquires of citation styles, technology and University information as needed. The Librarian may also work with individual students on a scheduled appointment basis over the phone and/or through videoconferencing. Other projects as assigned can include: creating subject and course guides, video tutorials, etc.
This individual will work selected reference shifts during the academic year (late August-mid December and January – early May) depending on reference desk needs. There may be a possibility of summer hours.
Shift hours may change due to schedule needs, as appropriate.
Essential duties and responsibilities of this position include the following:
- Staffs the virtual reference desk and provides service to all SNHU community members
- Conducts thorough reference interviews to determine users’ questions and extent of information needed
- Instructs library users on use of print and electronic resources
- Assists users in developing research strategies to locate, evaluate and use resources in an effective and ethical manner
- Assists users with general information on citation styles, technology and University information
- Assists with basic troubleshooting of access issues and/or refers to appropriate person or department
- Works with scheduled individual students via phone and/or videoconference as assigned
- Refers users to make individual instruction appointments for more in depth research assistance as needed
- Refers users to other departments on campus for information as needed
- Creates subject Libguides as assigned
- Other projects as assigned
The successful applicant must have:
- A Masters degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program
- Knowledge of Internet, print, and online resources
- Strong computer-based skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office, e-mail, web searching and basic computer troubleshooting
- Experience with automated library systems, Millennium preferred
- Ability to handle complex questions
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with students from a wide range of cultural, linguistic, and academic backgrounds
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong commitment to public service
- Commitment to instruction and building student knowledge as it relates to research
- High level of comfort with technology, able to learn new technology quickly and efficiently
- Two years professional experience providing reference and/or virtual reference for an academic audience
- Reliable computer/laptop setup and high speed cable/ DSL connection required with speeds of at least 50mbps
- Familiarity with Springshare Products such as LibAnswers, LibChat and LibGuides
- Experience working with distance education students
2500 North River Rd
Virtual, NH 03101