8/29/15 – Bilingual Librarian (Arabic)
Sultan Qaboos Cultural Center, Washington D.C., USA
Sarah P’s comments: I do not normally post US positions however here is a rare opportunity for cultural promotion and interaction within US borders. When anyone asks me which part of the Middle East was my favorite I unhesitatingly say Oman. (I have lived and worked in Oman, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and the UAE as well as other countries). It’s landscape, people, and history are fascinating. If you can speak Arabic and have the qualifications here is an opportunity worth pursuing.
The Sultan Qaboos Cultural Center (SQCC) seeks an experienced bilingual (Arabic/English) librarian to work at two locations in Washington, D.C.
- Bachelor’s degree in library science; Master’s preferred
- At least 5 years’ experience working in a library environment
- Knowledge of library and information services, systems, procedures and current developments
- Knowledge, skills, and experience in digitizing collections
- Background in Cataloging and Acquisitions
- Familiarity with KOHA ILS
- Well-developed communication and information technology skills
- Ability to develop electronic library information tools and services for information delivery
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently under strict deadlines
- Arabic fluency required
Interested applicants must submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
The Sultan Qaboos Cultural Center (SQCC) is dedicated to educating the peoples of the United States and Oman about the breadth and richness of our two cultures. SQCC promotes mutual respect and understanding between our nations and strives to educate a new generation of culturally sensitive and knowledgeable citizens in each society. Through outreach programs, scholarships, lectures, educational resources, cultural partnerships, and our Cultural Center in Washington, DC, SQCC brings the culture, history, and heritage of our nations to audiences in the US and abroad.