7/5/15 – Manager of Reference
Walden University, USA (remote/online position)
Sarah P’s comments: Walden is an established online university with “more than 47,800 students from all 50 states and more than 150 countries pursuing bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degrees”. As such this is an interesting opportunity to work independently while establishing an international aspect to your career. It is also a chance for non-US librarians to work for a US university. The cons are that the reviews on Glassdoor are mixed. Read them carefully to see if you could be a good fit with this organization.
- Develops and maintains the mission, goals, and governing documents for reference service and staff.
- Develops and administers policies, procedures, requirements, and training for the library’s reference service and staff.
- Develops and administer policies, procedures, requirements, and training for the library’s Quick Answer service.
- With the Manager for Assessment and Strategic Planning, collects, analyzes, and reports reference and Quick Answer service statistics to stakeholders.
- With the Manager for Assessment and Strategic Planning, sets metrics for quality and success of reference and Quick Answers services, and tracks and reports success over time
- Trials, selects, evaluates, pilots the use of new and emerging technologies to deliver reference services.
- Contributes to the library’s strategic planning processes.
- Collaborates with the Information Literacy Manager to integrate instructional best practices into the reference service.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborates with the Library management team on policies, procedures, and requirements that impact the reference and Quick Answer service and staff.
- Collaborates with the Center for Student Success staff on policies, procedures, and requirements that impact the reference and Quick Answer service.
- Engages in library and Center for Student Success governance by actively participating on groups, committees, and functional teams.
- Engages in library instructional programs such as residencies and webinars.
- Engages in professional development activities to remain up-to-date on professional developments through participation in professional organizations, system meetings, workshops, and continuing education opportunities.
- May be required to work nights or weekends to cover reference shifts for those on vacation or as needed.
Direct the work of those librarians providing reference services.
Serves as member of the Library management team.
POSITION IN ORGANIZATION
REPORTS TO: Director of the Library
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Reference librarians
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL, and PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of the Business
- Management Skills
- Problem-Solving / Critical Thinking
- Communication Skills
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Master of Library Science/Master of Library Information Science
- Commitment to advocating for the learning and development needs of students earning their degrees in a distance learning environment.
- At least one year demonstrated successful experience managing reference services in an academic library preferred.
- 3 years’ experience providing reference services in an academic setting preferred.
- Excellent leadership, communication, team participation, team building, and human relation skills.
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds in a collaborative manner
- Ability to creatively solve problems.
- Ability to write effectively in both business and academic styles.
- Experience with distance learning preferred.
- Some travel required.
|Online App. Form:||http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=a2VsbHkuY29sZW1hbi4xNDIzNi40OTEwQGxhdXJlYXRlL mFwbGl0cmFrLmNvbQ|