5/27/15 — University Archivist
Zayed University, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Sarah P’s comments: It is fairly rare to see an archivist position in the UAE. Two other places in the Middle East who have posted archivist positions in the past are the King Abdul Aziz Center for World Culture in Saudi Arabia and the Qatar National Library which currently has a Head of Archives position listed as open (note: Arabic speakers given preference).
For more information about Zayed University see yesterday’s blog post.
Zayed University, a premier university in the United Arab Emirates, is an innovative institution based on an international model of higher education. The University has experienced rapid growth, and currently has over 1000 faculty and staff serving approximately 9000 undergraduate and 1000 graduate students on its campuses in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Zayed University prepares graduates to become leaders in government, business, civil society, arts and culture, and family life, and to contribute to building a knowledge-based economy and society. Through a curriculum grounded in learning outcomes, the University expects its graduates to be proficient in both English and Arabic, and to possess the skills in communication, technology, information literacy, research, critical thinking, and global awareness that will make them leaders in the interconnected 21st-century world. English is the primary language of instruction. Zayed University is fully accredited in the UAE and by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education in the US. The United Arab Emirates is a progressive country known for its high standard of living and its safe, family-friendly, multi-national environment.
The Library and Learning Commons Department seeks a University Archivist who is responsible for overall management of the University’s young archive collections. The successful candidate will lead the collection development efforts to acquire the most significant materials of permanent historical value for documenting the history and functions of Zayed University. The Archivist will also be responsible for shaping the management, digital access and preservation of the materials collected. The Archivist will apply professional standards to the processing, arrangement and preservation of records; oversee creation of finding aids and creation of MARC catalog records for OCLC; and create records in MARC and ISAD(G) format for in-house and web databases.
- Recommend, implement and maintain the collection policy for university records having archival value.
- Recommend best practices regarding the development of both print and digital access to the records.
- Oversee implementation of policy and levels of practice in university office.
- Supervise a technician and student assistants.
- Through the Dean, recommend policies regarding archival records to the university administration for approval.
- Serve on department, college and University committees as needed to assist in development of matters benefiting the University.
Records Management and Training
- Identify and transfer archival records from university offices.
- Organize, process and preserve archival records.
- Provide archival records management and preservation training to university offices and departments.
- Contribute to planning of the future direction of the program.
- Act as a leader, teacher, advisor, and facilitator for the Archives.
- MLS from an accredited library school or its recognized equivalent; or a graduate degree in history or other relevant discipline which includes archival training.
- At least three years’ experience with demonstrated success as an archivist, curator of manuscripts, or special collections librarian, preferably in an academic or research library.
- Familiarity with archival descriptive structure standards such as Dublin Core, MARC, EAD and ISAD(G)
- Knowledge of rights administration and management issues for archival collections
- Knowledge of descriptive content standards and best practices
- Familiarity with Archivist Toolkit or other archival management software
- Experience in creating and maintaining archival finding aids online, including EAD encoding, working knowledge of XML, and familiarity with DACS, and LC cataloguing standards.
- Broad knowledge of current technological applications for archival management and access.
- Experience processing and cataloguing archival records.
- Familiarity with preservation and conservation standards for archival and manuscript collections.
- Experience creating and maintaining documentation of policy and procedures.
- Evidence of effective project planning and management.
- Demonstrated history of flexibility, creativity and a strong customer service commitment
- Willingness to travel between Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
- Must show promise of advancing the mission of the University through scholarly or creative achievements.
- Experience developing and deploying an online project from beginning to completion.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of digital image file formats and software.
- Knowledge of issues related to long term preservation of digital content.
- Experience supervising staff and student assistants.
- Knowledge of copyright issues in the digital realm.
- Experience working with a consortium to develop a shared repository
- Understanding of the Arabic language
- Experience working in a multi-cultural environment
The University’s benefits package is highly attractive, with competitive salaries free of tax in the U.A.E., housing, a furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children and healthcare is provided to the employee and sponsored family members.
Please visit our web site www.zu.ac.ae and click on ‘Employment’ to be directed to the recruitment website. In addition to completing the online application form, attach a cover letter, a current CV, and the names and contact details of three professional references.
While we appreciate all applications, you will be contacted only if you are selected for an interview.
|Online App. Form:||http://www.zu.ac.ae|