5/26/15 – Transition Experience Librarian-Library And Learning Commons
Zayed University, Dubai and Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Sarah P’s comments: Zayed has been considered one of the better colleges to work for in the UAE however in recent years their reputation has slipped. They have always had sporadic hiring practices; interviewing then no communication, it appearing that a job is likely and then no contract, etc. Last year they advertised for an Information Literacy Coordinator for their Abu Dhabi campus in late August, then posted a search extended ad in October. I assume they did finally fill the position. Dubai and Abu Dhabi are the two major cities in the UAE (about two hours apart) and both have lots of traffic but the Emirates remain a safe to live. Be prepared for more expats than Arab nationals and you will have to go south to the desert and/or Oman to experience real Arabian culture.
Note: These positions appear to be new so hopefully the hiring process will be a bit more straight-forward. They have Arabic fluency on the list of requirements but it is unlikely they will be able to find candidates with all they require however if you have taken any Arabic this would be a major plus for your application.
Zayed University, a premier university in the United Arab Emirates, is an innovative institution based on an international model of higher education. The University has experienced rapid growth, and currently has over 1000 faculty and staff serving approximately 9000 undergraduate and 1000 graduate students on its campuses in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Zayed University prepares graduates to become leaders in government, business, civil society, arts and culture, and family life, and to contribute to building a knowledge-based economy and society. Through a curriculum grounded in learning outcomes, the University expects its graduates to be proficient in both English and Arabic, and to possess the skills in communication, technology, information literacy, research, critical thinking, and global awareness that will make them leaders in the interconnected 21st-century world. English is the primary language of instruction. Zayed University is fully accredited in the UAE and by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education in the US. The United Arab Emirates is a progressive country known for its high standard of living and its safe, family-friendly, multi-national environment.The Opportunity
The Library and Learning Commons seeks an incumbent for the position of Transition Experience Librarian who will be working closely with his/her counterpart on the other campus. The Transition Experience Librarian is responsible for developing and leading learning and engagement opportunities designed to help Zayed University students acclimate and thrive. English Language Learners (ELL) in the Academic Bridge Program (ABP) are the focus of the Transition Experience Librarian’s efforts, with students transitioning from the Bridge program into the general education program as the secondary focus. The Librarian supervises two staff and oversees the day to day operations of a busy Learning Commons service point. The Librarian serves as the liaison to the Bridge program and is responsible for maintaining a collection of ELL materials in support of the program’s needs.
- Oversee the daily operations of the Learning Commons, including staff and collection management, program and technology development, promotion and assessment, and oversight of the Learning Commons public service point(s).
- Recruit, train, supervise and evaluate two full time staff. Oversee the staff management of student assistants in the Learning Commons.
- Serve as the liaison to the Academic Bridge Program; engaging in collection development, providing reference and research consultations for students and faculty, participating in discipline-specific information literacy programming and other relevant initiatives.
- Co-lead, with counterpart on the other campus, a Learning Commons Team tasked with developing cross campus programming and initiatives to help students to acclimate and develop appropriate information literacy skills as they move from secondary to post-secondary English-medium education.
- Participate in the provision of general reference services, including some weekends and evenings.
- Participate in the information literacy program; designing curriculum, classroom teaching, working with faculty and with other library staff.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of subject guides, user aids and the LLC’s website.
- Participate in the planning and development of LLC policies and services and serve on LLC and University committees as appropriate.
- Engage in professional research and development.
- Must have a Master’s Degree or PhD in Library Science or appropriate field from an accredited institution and a minimum 3 years library and/or teaching experience in a western-style university, a minimum 1 year experience as a supervisor, and experience in an academic library or in academic support services.
- Creativity and ability to envision new services
- Strong administration skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to relate well to faculty, students and staff
- Strong organizational, planning and time management skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative setting
- Flexibility in program development and responding to change
- Commitment to user-centered services
- Problem-solving skills
- Fluency in English
- Experience working in a multicultural environment
- Experience working with ELL students and faculty
- Fluency in Arabic
- These are ZU competencies that outline the behaviors required for success. For further information on ZU Competencies and go to: http://webapp1.zu.ac.ae/hrintranet/html/hrforms.htm Here you will find both faculty, staff and leadership competencies. The level of competency needed is defined by the nature of the position.
Leadership & Managerial Accountability – Engages others to work together towards a shared vision and common goals; Makes effective decisions, achieve outcomes and result
Communication -Able to share information in an effective & collaborative manner, both verbally and in writing.
Customer & Service Focused – Demonstrates a spirit of service excellence
Results & Action Orientation – Demonstrates initiative to generate improvements and foster positive outcomes.
Builds Effective Interpersonal Relationships – Demonstrates interpersonal effectiveness in the workplace.
Knowledge & Technical Competency – Demonstrates proficiency in technical and job knowledge aspects of the position to achieve high level of performance. Able and willing to learn.
The University’s benefits package is highly attractive, with competitive salaries free of tax in the U.A.E., housing, a furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children and healthcare is provided to the employee and sponsored family members.
Please visit our web site www.zu.ac.ae and click on ‘Employment’ to be directed to the recruitment website. In addition to completing the online application form, attach a cover letter, a current CV, and the names and contact details of three professional references.
While we appreciate all applications, you will be contacted only if you are selected for an interview.
|Online App. Form:||http://www.zu.ac.ae|