5/11/15 – Libraries and Literacy Teacher Training Volunteer
Link Ethiopia, Gondar and Bishoftu, Ethiopia
Sarah P’s comments: This charity organization supports school libraries as well as education. No reviews but there is a Wikipedia page with links. This is a UK organisation however I believe they accept other nationalities – if interested make sure to ask.
Link Ethiopia is a charity dedicated to changing lives in Ethiopia through education. We achieve this through projects tailored to the needs of schools and by building partnerships between UK and Ethiopian schools, which encourage young people to learn about each other and work together.
We are looking for volunteer teacher trainers to join our passionate team in Ethiopia. The placement is for 8 months from October 2015 to May 2016 with the possibility of a mid-year break. We will meet the cost of your return flight and accommodation while on placement. This position would suit both newly-qualified and experienced teachers who are fluent in English.
You would be working under the guidance of our Project Manager as part of a small, friendly team. You will be responsible for training and mentoring in-service early grade English teachers and school librarians as part of our Libraries and Literacy project. As a teacher trainer, you will have the opportunity to improve the literacy and lives of thousands of children in this fast-developing country. You will see the impact of your work through regular monitoring and support visits to schools and improved literacy levels among young children.
· Contract length: Voluntary, full-time
· Hours: School hours, Monday to Friday. Flexible arrangements for travelling
· Reports to: Project Manager
· Other relationships: Works closely with other team members in London and Ethiopia. Represents the charity to schools, other volunteers, visitors, etc.
Job purpose: To train and mentor early-grade English teachers in phonics and reading techniques, assist in improving school libraries and change more lives through education.
· Training teachers: As part of a team, planning, delivering and evaluating training (CPD) for teachers designed to improve children’s reading in English in the early grades, including phonics and active learning pedagogies
· Supporting and mentoring teachers: Following up by observing and giving feedback to teachers in their schools
· Assessing children’s reading: As part of a team, testing children’s reading ability and collecting data to assess the impact of the project
· Improving school libraries: Participating in training of librarians and using LE’s ‘Library Award’ criteria to evaluate libraries and give advice and practical help for their improvement
· ‘Reading Bee’: Take part in organising school-based and regional reading bee competitions
· Other tasks: Other tasks as needed from time to time.
· Training in and/or experience of teaching early reading
· Good working knowledge of phonics
· Fluent English speaker with strong written and verbal communication skills
· Passionate about the importance of literacy as a driver of social change
· Proven ability to work independently and manage own workload
· Excellent attention to detail, producing work of a high quality
· Proficient with Microsoft packages, including Word and Excel, social media, blogs and photo-sharing platforms
· An interest in Ethiopia and its culture
· Share Link Ethiopia’s vision and mission
· A relevant degree and qualified teacher status
· Teaching experience in UK primary school
· Experience of living/working in the global South
· Video editing skills
· Experience of managing others
· Experience of peer mentoring, observing and giving feedback
We will support you in acquiring a visa for Ethopia for the duration of your placement.
How to apply
To apply, please email your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are ideal for this role by noon on Tuesday 9th June 2015 by the link provided or to rory[at]linkethiopia[dot]org.