5/29/15 – Assistant Director, University Library
Habib University, Karachi, Pakistan
Sarah P’s comments: Opportunities are rarely posted from Pakistan. This is a new university thus no reviews however I think it is safe to say that this is a challenging opportunity as you would be developing a new library in a country facing many difficulties, a fact openly acknowledged in an article about Habib University:
Each academic program at Habib University is Pakistan-sensitive, which in essence mean that it is designed keeping in view Pakistan’s needs. However, that does not take away the global outlook the students develop. The fact that each member of the faculty has, at some point in time, acquired training or education abroad enables students to view Pakistan from a global perspective as well.
It will be interesting to see how this university develops.
Note: I would like to offer a related piece of advice when considering international situations/locations. My grandmother always told me that, when out in public, never discuss politics or religion or order chicken on the bone(!) Seriously, though, this is good advice and extends, I believe, into the Code of Ethics for librarians where we do not professionally embrace just one school of thought as we are meant to offer equal access to information. If you are considering an international career, know that you are a representative of this philosophy as well as your own culture. I always post the ALA Code of Ethics wherever I go as a reminder.
Under the Head of University Library articulates the Libraries’ mission and goals; provides leadership for the Libraries’ staff, operations, and services; advances the Libraries’ reputation on a local, regional, and national scale; collaborates with university administrators in carrying out the University’s academic priorities.
As Habib University is a new institution, the role of the University Librarian is to
1. Assist leadership in articulating a clear vision for the University Library
2. Develop and implement Library Strategic Plans to meet University’s academic priorities
3. Assists in managing the University Libraries human, financial, and physical resources.
4. Oversees all departmental operations including but not limited to: budget preparation and oversight, submission of reports, grant acquisition and management.
5. Implement Library Policies and Procedures, applicable to University faculty, students, administrators and the university community at large
6. Develop and implement the information technology plan for the Library, with a customer-centered approach to serving the digital information needs of the University
7. Work with the faculty in defining library collections for the first year of classes and develop plans for expansion of collection
8. Recruit and develop library staff for management of University Library
9. Develops strategies to align library services with University curricula and research.
10. Ensures implementation of new technologies that enhance library services.
11. Continually aligns services to meet the needs of diverse constituencies within the University Community.
12. Oversees the day to day operations of the library to ensure reasonable access to all library services
13. Communicates the value of library services to faculty, staff, and students.
14. Maintains knowledge of current issues and trends in academic information services such as instructional technology and design, information literacy, assessment, copyright and fair use.
15. Performs other duties as assigned by the University Librarian.
Qualifications and Experience:
1. Master’s degree from an ALA accredited program or equivalent.
2. A record of scholarly achievement.
3. Leadership experience in an academic or research library.
4. Experience optimizing the delivery of library services
5. Experience developing and implementing strategic or project plans.
6. Experience with library space building, expansion or design projects.
7. Budgetary experience.
8. A record of service in professional library or academic associations.
9. Experience implementing new technologies to enhance library services.
10. Experience developing collaborations regionally, nationally or internationally.
Skills and competencies:
1. Knowledge of implementing and using KOHA as a library management system.
2. Knowledge of emerging technologies within the domain of scholarship, scholarly communication, and library services.
3. Demonstrated ability to work with administrators, faculty, students, staff, and other library constituents.
4. Commitment to fostering a diverse staff.
5. Commitment to serving a diverse community.
6. Proven success as an effective communicator.
7. Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills.
8. Evidence of strong management skills.
Applications should include a cover letter, detailed resume providing evidence of a distinguished record of librarianship and scholarly achievement, and the contact information for three references, which should be sent electronically (a single PDF file preferred) and in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Organization:
Habib University is a liberal arts and science institution being established by Habib University Foundation as a world class center of excellence in higher learning in Karachi, Pakistan. Habib University offers undergraduate programs, with a unique blend of interdisciplinary education in Science, Engineering, Arts, Humanities and the Social Sciences. The University initiated classes with 100 students and will continue to grow in numbers in subsequent years. The University is looking to develop and implement a creative and innovative admissions plan and process that addresses the needs of higher education in Pakistan and also represents best practices in admissions internationally.
For more information please visit our website http://habib.edu.pk
|Phone:||+92 21 38797082|
|Fax:||+92 21 34301056|