4/17/15 – Information Literacy Librarian
American University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Sarah P’s comments: Of the various UAE universities and colleges, AUS is considered near the top of the list of reputable institutions. Positions appear periodically (they posted two last year) but I have heard they suffer from the same convoluted hiring practices which exist in the rest of the region. For those unfamiliar with the Middle East, the UAE is a safe and progressive country and Sharjah is basically an overgrown suburb of the Dubai.
The American University of Sharjah Library seeks an innovative and proactive librarian to join its service oriented team as the Information Literacy Librarian. The IL librarian is responsible for the ongoing development, delivery and assessment of the university’s course-integrated information literacy program and collaborates with librarians and faculty to embed information literacy skills and concepts into the curriculum. The incumbent will develop instructional tools to further the library’s teaching and learning goals, will work in close collaboration with teaching faculty, and will identify opportunities for first year outreach and partnerships on campus that engage and support undergraduate student success. Other responsibilities include providing reference assistance (face-to-face and virtual), working with faculty in assigned liaison areas, and collection development.
- ALA accredited MLS, ideally with 2 years of instruction and reference experience
- Demonstrated teaching ability and strong commitment to student learning
- Knowledge of information literacy standards, effective pedagogies and learning outcomes assessment
- Demonstrated skills in designing and creating effective teaching materials
- Commitment to working in a culturally diverse learning environment
- Strong service orientation, flexibility, and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to work collegially and effectively with others.
Preferred: Instructional Design Skills; International experience is beneficial but not required.
If interested, applicants should submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae with the names of three references to email@example.com. The position applied for should be mentioned in the email subject line.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applicants who do not meet specified requirements will not be shortlisted.
AUS Alumni are encouraged to apply for these positions