4/10/15 – Collection Development Librarian
Blegen Library, ASCSA (The American School of Classical Studies at Athens), Greece
Sarah P’s comments: This position was forwarded to me from another international librarian. No reviews but looks interesting. They also have archivist internships available but these are in Princeton, NJ.
The American School of Classical Studies at Athens (ASCSA) invites applications for the position of Collection Development Librarian for the Carl W. Blegen Library in Athens.
Key responsibilities of the Collection Development Librarian of the Blegen Library are as follows:
• Undertakes the selection and acquisition of materials and the development of the collection in all languages and all formats.
• Provides research assistance to members of the American School of Classical Studies and visiting researchers who are library users.
• Works closely with colleagues to ensure timely and uninterrupted access to the entire library collection for members and readers.
• Manages the Library’s approval plans and publications exchange program.
• Discusses with the Head Librarian all matters relating to collection development, maintenance and preservation and participates in the development of relevant policies.
Advanced degree in Greek archaeology, classics or history (M.A. or higher) with a specialization in ancient Greece or equivalent credentials.
• Appropriate experience in an academic research library highly desirable, including degree in library science.
• Fluency in English, speaking and reading knowledge of Modern Greek; knowledge of Ancient Greek and Latin and the languages of scholarly research (German, French, Italian, etc.).
• Familiarity with bibliographic tools available for researchers in the field and knowledge of scholarly publishing in the U.S. and Europe.
• Understanding of unique needs of a graduate research library and familiarity with digital content management issues.
• Demonstrated skills and experience in relevant information technology, including its use and management, and possessing a comprehensive understanding of the technology-driven information environment.
• Strong organizational and communication skills and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
The position is full-time. Salary competitive. Generous benefits package. Successful candidate must live and work in Athens, Greece.
Send a letter of application, a curriculum vitae, and three confidential letters of reference to Maria Tourna, Acting Head Librarian for the Blegen Library, American School of Classical Studies at Athens, 54 Souidias Street, GR-106-76 Athens, Greece or email application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.