3/30/15 – Library Consultant
Xinzheng, Zhengzhou City, Henan, China
Sarah P’s comments: China appears to be taking over from the Middle East for offering positions in universities (9 positions listed in the past year). This opportunity is listed as ‘consultant’ but then says it is a full-time job. They also are welcoming volunteers. This seems to be a unique opportunity to help develop a new library however I can’t find much info about it. Anyone out there know more about this position?
Interviews begin April 20th. Offers go out May 1st. Job begins June 25th with attendence at ALA Conference. Volunteers welcome to join us from May 25th to August 20th.
Sias International University (SIAS) is inviting applications for the position of University Library Consultant. The new SIAS Library is currently under construction. The finished product will be a 15-story high iconic building showcasing SIAS Universities’ commitment to pioneering “East Meets West” in higher education.
About Sias International University
SIAS is the first solely American-owned university in Central China. Affiliated with Fort Hays State University of Kansas, it was developed and designed in response to the most current educational demands. It is the first full-time undergraduate university approved by the Degree Committee of the State Council in China to grant both Chinese and American Bachelor’s Degrees. It is fully accredited by the China Ministry of Education. Read more at: http://en.sias.edu.cn/AboutSias/2459/9789.html.
SIAS prides itself on its unique architecture. Please learn more from these video and sites:
http://www.academicsinasia.com/sias-and-xinzheng/ (4 Minute Video Interviewing Auburn Univ. Architect Peter Weiss)
http://youtu.be/dhRbvVgcAeA (15 Minute Intro to SIAS Video)
http://youtu.be/aCfasvgBnlU?t=20s (view of where the new library has been built before the old one was torn down in 2013).
http://lib.sias.edu.cn (SIAS University Chinese Library Department Page)
http://en.sias.edu.cn/contents/2240/49841.html (Article of SIAS Founder’s Vision)
The Library Consultant for Administration and Programs will:
– Join a team of Chinese administrators and student workers as a new University Library opens.
– Communicate through a Full-time Chinese translator in conversations with Chinese speakers on the Library staff.
– Provide insight for the development of transformational learning spaces in support of teaching, research, collaboration, group study and individual work.
– Take part in strategic planning processes related to space, equipment and resources.
– Provide basic training in English customer service skills to Library staff.
– Establish relationships and serve as a liaison between Library administration and foreign faculty at the University.
– Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree; degree in Library Science preferred
– Native English speaker; conversational ability in Mandarin Chinese preferred
– 3 years of experience on a library staff; library administration preferred
– 2 years of teaching experience in any field
– Strong interpersonal, oral and written skills
– This is a full-time position (30-35 hours/week) at SIAS International University.
– Long winter and summer holidays will provide plenty of time to do research and travel.
Remuneration offered will be competitive to the region and commensurate with the successful applicant’s academic qualifications and professional experience. Read more at: http://www.academicsinasia.com/work-at-sias/.
Review of applications will commence immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants should apply at www.academicsinasia.com/apply-now/. The University has appointed Aaron Vorbau to assist in the search process for this position. Applicants may consider their applications not successful if they are not invited for interviews within 1 month of applying.
International Recruiter: Aaron Vorbau: email@example.com; 209-877-7427 (SIAS)