1/7/15 – Elementary Librarian
American School of Doha, Qatar
Sarah P’s comments: One of the better and more established international schools. In recent years the school has become large and Qatar more restrictive and expensive but if you looking to work in the Middle East, Qatar is safe and prosperous. According to the website you can apply directly although I believe they still prefer interview face-to-face via a recruitment fair. However the recruiting process is evolving and if you have both experience and SMS certification I would apply and say you are available for a Skype interview. Note: they also ask for teaching certification which is not standard.
Position Summary: The school’s librarian fulfills four roles: information and literacy specialist, teacher, instructional consultant, and program manager. The responsibilities are dynamic and multifaceted and include the following areas of responsibility: Information and Literacy Specialist, Teacher, Instructional Consultant, and Program Manager.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Ability to prepare and plan effectively
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Proficient in the use of technology in teaching for the classroom and distance learning
- Experienced in communicating with a diverse student population both inside and outside the classroom
- Committed to continuous professional learning and growth
- Thorough understanding of library automation software
- Experience with the retrieval and use of a variety of library resources
- Possess basic knowledge of audiovisual equipment use
- All candidates must have an undergraduate degree. Transcripts are reviewed for breadth and depth of courses taken, as well as scholarship.
- Teaching certification and library media credential is required.
- A postgraduate degree in subject area preferred. Training in a second discipline will be highly regarded.
- Computer Literate for both Mac and PC
- Proficient in the English Language (reading/writing/speaking)
- Ability to work as a team player
- Demonstrated excellent level organizational, administrative and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and safeguard confidential information
- Experience in a similar International and/or regional environment is an advantage