11/26/14 – Manager, Member Services
IFLA Headquarters, The Hague, Netherlands
Salary: approx. € 51.000 per year depending on experience, excluding holiday and year-end allowances.
Position type: 36 hours per week; initial a 1-year contract. Applicants must be eligible to work in the EU.
Application deadline: Dec. 31, 2014
Under limited direction, the Manager, Member Services manages a discrete organizational function of significant importance to overall operations and membership. This position plays a leadership and strategic role in the development and oversight of services, partnerships, and communications that benefit members. It also has the opportunity to help shape the strategic direction and policies of the organization. The position reports to the Secretary General. The position supervises other designated staff. The position may require international travel and representation.
Key areas of Responsibility
- Develop, implement and review goal-focused member services and professional programmes, resulting in sustained membership growth, participation across all areas of activity, and a high level of member satisfaction with IFLA services;
- In collaboration with other staff develop, implement and review publishing and communications strategies to support our advocacy, promotional and events related activities and to raise IFLA’s profile internationally;
- Assist the Secretary General with strategic partnership programmes and activities; governance; and IFLA’s strategic directions planning and policy development;
- Manage professional support and provide advice for the work of IFLA’s Professional Committee and other relevant committees of the Governing Board;
- Manage the administrative functions of IFLA’s Headquarters; manage HQ liaison with IFLA’s regional offices and language centres operations;
- Manage a small team of staff spanning IFLA’s professional programmes, communications and administration.
The person in this position will be an experienced and strategic manager with proven ability in:
- Analytical and planning ability, with demonstrated initiative and vision, and solutions-oriented approach; financial skills should include income generation and budgeting skills;
- Understanding the role and functions of an international member-based organization; including demonstrated knowledge and capacity to apply IFLA’s purpose and values as set out in its Statutes.
- Excellent knowledge of current and emerging issues within the global information environment that are relevant for members, libraries and their users;
- Applying publishing, IT and communications platforms to maximise the organization’s effectiveness and responsiveness, within specified needs;
- Developing and implementing successful international programmes, and/or working across diverse cultures, in a strategic, consultative and inclusive way;
- Developing partnerships and networks, and represent the organization in a variety of forums;
- Highly developed written and spoken communication skills in English and the ability to target style to different audiences. IFLA works in seven official languages so a good knowledge of at least one of IFLA’s working languages other than English is advantageous.
- Managing staff and working in a distributed, international team; a commitment to participative management practices, workplace diversity and to working effectively within a team environment.
How to apply
Applications should be in English and consist of a covering letter that specifies your suitability for the position based on the responsibilities and skills in this job description; a detailed curriculum vitae, and the names of two referees.
Please submit your application before 31 December 2014 to:
Jennefer Nicholson, Secretary General, email: email@example.com.
For further details, please contact:
Ina Dijkstra, HR Advisor, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.