11/14/14 – Curriculum Resource Center Coordinator Library & Learning Commons
Zayed University, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Sarah P’s comments: In the past Zayed enjoyed a good reputation and was considered a fairly good place to work, probably in second place after the American University of Sharjah (who currently have two librarian positions posted). I have heard however, that there have been management problems in the past few years and thus there has been a high turnover of librarians (they have posted four positions in the past year, keyword: Zayed to find these on the blog).
Also, several colleagues have commented about their frustrating experience with the hiring process which is both slow and contradictory. Ex. you apply, wait several months, have an interview, have a second interview, discuss details with HR and then nothing! (This story is actually typical of Middle Eastern hiring practices.) This doesn’t mean do not apply as life in Abu Dhabi, if you like city living, is comfortable and the UAE is a great jumping off point for exploring the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
Established in 1998, Zayed University, a premier university in the United Arab Emirates, is an innovative institution based on an international model of higher education. The University has experienced rapid growth, and currently has over 1000 faculty and staff serving approximately 9500 undergraduate and 1000 graduate students on its campuses in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Through a curriculum grounded in learning outcomes, the University expects its graduates to be proficient in both English and Arabic, English is the primary language of instruction.
The department of Library & Learning Commons seeks an incumbent for the position of Curriculum Resource Center Coordinator who is responsible To provide leadership in the development and operation of the Curriculum Resource Centers (CRC) in accordance with the university goals in general, and more specifically, with those goals which emphasize skills and knowledge for all students in the College of Education.
- Assists students in developing the knowledge and skills needed for educators. Is available to provide guidance to students and provides orientation to CRC services, resources and equipment. Serves as a resource to faculty.
- Teaches Information literacy classes each semester to students in the Colloquy program, College of Education and other assigned liaison areas.
- Coordinates resources and staff in the CRC and oversees day to day tasks and supervises CRC Technicians on both campuses.
- Manages the CRC resource and materials budget, including creating annual budget proposal.
- Coordinates the development and management of a print, electronic and multi-media collection of curriculum, pedagogy and education learning materials for the CRC.
- In collaboration with the Education Liaison Librarian in Dubai Campus, selects and develops the collection of education materials that meet the needs of students and faculty, and to the strategic learning of ZU.
- Creates and develops guidelines on the production of materials used to support curriculum development and learning for future teachers, and ensures quality control.
- Facilitates faculty and students involvement in the materials development process.
- Promotes awareness of the CRC materials and services across the College of Education and to the broader education community in UAE.
- Informs faculty regularly on the availability and use of resources in the CRC/Library, in particular those related to curriculum and pedagogy.
- Stays informed and advises on issues that could be integrated into instruction, both in the subject liaison responsibility and College of Education courses
- Serves on the Library Reference Desk and rotates to cover extended hours.
- Serves on relevant library teams, councils and university committees.
- Must possess a Master’s degree in Library and Information Management (MLIS/MLS) ALA accredited or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in a library setting in a western style educational institution.
- Minimum of 2 years supervision experience.
- Teaching experience
- Familiarity with the UAE education system.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Proficient in Arabic (desirable).
- Knowledge of IT and computer applications for library and CRC functions.
- Experience in academic services.
- Proficient in English.
- Ability to travel between Abu Dhabi and Dubai
The University’s benefits package is highly attractive, with competitive salaries free of tax in the U.A.E.,housing, a furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children and healthcare is provided to the employee and sponsored family members.
In addition to completing the online application form, attach a cover letter, a current CV, and the names and contact details of three professional references.
While we appreciate all applications, you will be contacted only if you are selected for an interview.