10/27/14 – Senior Librarian
KUSTAR (Khalifa University of Science, Technology, and Research), Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
About Khalifa University:
With campuses in Abu Dhabi and Sharjah, Khalifa University is dedicated to the advancement of learning through teaching and research and to the discovery and application of knowledge. It endeavours to be an internationally recognised research university, with a world class reputation for interdisciplinary teaching and research and a tradition of partnering with leading academic institutions from around the world.
About the Role:
The position is responsible for assisting faculty and students with their research, and for instructing same in using resources as well as in managing research data.
- Provides research assistance and instruction for all engineering programs at upper levels
- Presents seminars and workshops on research resources, patents, and info management tools such as Mendeley, LaTeX
- Provides instructional support for data visualization, GIS and the Decision Theater
- Provides instruction and support in digital scholarship services including research data management
- Assists graduate students with thesis research and preparation
- Provides research support for document delivery
- Creates and maintains instructional materials such as LibGuides
- Participates in LibRef service
- Selects materials for disciplines served
- Participates in relevant meetings with staff and faculty
About The Person:
- Masters degree from an ALA-accredited institution. Additional graduate degree in science or engineering preferred. PhD or extensive experience in science or engineering research may be considered in lieu of MLS.
- Minimum three years experience post masters degree as research librarian in sci/tech libraries required.
- Demonstrated interest in academic research and teaching environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of resources and information-seeking skills in the sci/tech disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with students, faculty, and librarian peers
- Demonstrated positive interpersonal skills and client service orientation
- MS Office applications
- Instructional experience
- Experience teaching citation managers
- Experience in collection development
- Experience using the patent literature
- Experience in research data management (data curation, documentation, conversion and interoperability, and preservation) and understanding of metadata preferred
- Experience with database management systems preferred
- Experience with simulation software, GIS, and data visualization software preferred
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage projects, work under stress and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated flexibility, skill at multi-tasking, taking initiative, being creative
- Demonstrated potential to contribute to profession through research, publishing, teaching, or professional service
- Ability to work well as a team member, and willingness/ability to work some evening hours as service needs demand.
Note: you will be required to attach the following:
2. Passport-size photograph
Sarah P’s comments: There are currently 4 librarian positions open with this University (see earlier posts as well). There is an abundance of universities in the UAE, some good, some not so good. KUSTAR does have good reviews to date and I am including a link to an article which mentions them in their discussion of the pros and cons of working in the Middle East. The article is from 2012 but the information is still accurate and the author shares some insights which you should be aware of if you are considering working in the region.
The Middle East Option by William Roden, Inside Higher Ed, 2/8/12